Research Opportunities

preDental8

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2009
  1. Pre-Dental
    Hi,

I am a predental postbac student looking for research opportunities in NYC or the tristate area over the summer (I am willing to help in almost any area needed, I just want to gain some experience). I work full time and am trying to find a lab / research opportunity where I can volunteer my time after 6:30pm, maybe in three hour shifts on the weeknights from 6:30pm to 9:3pm. Also, I am available anytime during the weekends.

Because I work full time I have been finding it difficult to find an opportunity so if anyone can give me some guidance that would also be appreciated since I am new to all of this.

Thank you in advance. Please email via this forum with any advice or opportunities.

HarveyCushing

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Mar 12, 2005
      Hi,

I am a predental postbac student looking for research opportunities in NYC or the tristate area over the summer (I am willing to help in almost any area needed, I just want to gain some experience). I work full time and am trying to find a lab / research opportunity where I can volunteer my time after 6:30pm, maybe in three hour shifts on the weeknights from 6:30pm to 9:3pm. Also, I am available anytime during the weekends.

Because I work full time I have been finding it difficult to find an opportunity so if anyone can give me some guidance that would also be appreciated since I am new to all of this.

Thank you in advance. Please email via this forum with any advice or opportunities.

To be honest it will be very hard if not almost impossible to get a bench research position since you work full time. Most labs open up in the morning and close down around 5-6pm depending on the typical lab. So really, don't expect a lab to stay open in the evening so that you can get research experience. The best bet, and this would probably be hard since you are still pre-dent, is to do case studies. With a case study you can work on that in your own free time from the comforts of your home. However a clinician is probably gonna be hesitant to allow a pre-med or pre-dent to write one up since they don't have the proper training or knowledge at the time. Your best bet if you really want to get research experience is to see if you can get a full time position as a research tech and quit your current job. That would still provide you with a full time job as well as research experience.

ffpickle

Thread Killer
      10+ Year Member
      May 7, 2008
        Hi,

If you are willing to volunteer, get involved with Columbia's oral epidemiology researchers. Perhaps you can do data mining or cleaning on de-identified data sets, from home, or somethin similar. Just a thought...

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.