Research Year after MS4?

Started by 88pich14
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

88pich14

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m about to start MS4 and have recently decided to apply into ENT. I was originally interested in gen surg, but I just finished an ENT rotation and loved it. I attend a top 10 NIH school and have a 245 step 1 with honors in surg/med/peds/psych and high pass in ob-gyn/neuro. I presented one ENT poster at a national conference for a project I worked on the summer between M1-M2. I don’t have any other research. I know my stats are fairly average except for the lack of research. At this point, it’s too late for me to take a year off for research between M3 and M4. How would PD’s look at an applicant that deferred graduation to do a year of research after M4? Would this be similar to an applicant that did a research year between M3 and M4? I appreciate any input.
 
Your stats are pretty good other than the deficiency in research. Can you do a couple research months in the fall? You ought to be able to pound out a chart review study and a case report or two during that amount of time. Also, can your presentation from M1/M2 get published? Offer to write it up and submit it if it hasn't been already.