Retake Stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bthompchomp

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm 4 yrs out of undergrad (Bachelor in Political Communications), 3.3 GPA. I'm working on my pre-reqs for med school at a local community college while working full time.

Because my undergrad major had virtually no science required (I took 1 Plant Bio course), I'm starting from scratch.

This Qt. I took Anatomy w/lab (A), Psych (A) and Stats (B).

My question is if I should retake the Stats class and aim for an A? Math is not my strong suit and in hindsight, taking 15 credit hours while working an 8-5pm job was too much and I didn't have the proper time to devote to studying for the class.

Because my undergrad GPA is low at 3.3, I know I have to do well in these pre-reqs.

Any advice?

Thanks!
 
Do not retake. It's all about opportunity cost - what other course could you be taking instead. If I were on an admissions committee, it wouldn't look good to retake a course you got a B in. MD schools will average your GPA from both the original course and the retake. The same GPA effect will happen by acing an upper level science course. A DO retake won't help your GPA that much more than an additonal A in another course.

I understand the pressure (real or perceived) to get all A's if you've been out of school a while. The reality is you are not going to be rejected because you got a B in statistics, nontrad or not. Chock it up to a difficult grading structure or whatever...you learned a lot in the course...and move on. If it's the only B you get in post bac work and you're asked about it in an interview, say " you know, I learned a lot in that course and I wear that B with a badge of honor." I doubt if anyone goes through med school with all A's. It's important to be able to put setbacks in their proper perspective, recover and trudge ahead.