Retake thoughts???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

azndentist89

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last august

PAT - 18
QR - 18
RC - 19
Bio - 17
Chem - 21
Ochem - 19
TS - 18
AA - 19

I decided to retake cause I thought my bio score was a little low, and I was trying to get into a 'better' school.

This august

PAT - 20
QR - 19
RD - 19
Bio - 19
Chem - 17
Ochem - 16
TS - 18
AA - 18

...not really sure what to think now. I was able to get my PAT, RC, and Bio up but at the expense of my chem and ochem, which I thought I was better prepared for this time as well. I have roughly a 3.6 total GPA and 3.5 science GPA. I have enough shadowing/volunteering work and my letters of recommendation are solid.

Any thoughts as to how admins will view this change of DAT score and do i still have a decent shot? thanks.

Azndentist
 
Coming from personal experience, I was in the same boat that you are in now. My AA went down from a 19 to an 18 the second time I took the DAT. With that being said, I decided to enroll in a masters program to continue my research, obtain another degree and then take the DAT again. My application is very solid now and I like my chances. It's a tough call since you have already taken it twice and you are only allowed three times total, but if you have already submitted apps I would just roll with what you have since you have a decent PAT and good GPAs and see what happens. If not, look into some post-bacc options or a masters program and crush the DAT. Good Luck!