Rh Factor

Started by JetL011
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JetL011

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I hope that this is the best forum to post this topic.

I am studying Rh factors, and I have a few questions about this blood type which aren't answered by my textbooks.

Thank you very much!

---

1. My textbook says that "anti-Rh antibodies develop over a two to four month period after the transfusion". So, I am wondering, if person A (having Rh- blood), has just received a transfusion from someone with Rh+ blood, will person A be able to receive transfusion safely after this four month period?

In other words, will the body continue to produce anti-Rh antibodies if there is no particular contingency for which the antibodies are needed?

2. For blood transfusions, must it be from a positive donor to a negative donor? Or will the other way work as well?

I am guessing that it cannot be from - to + because the + will have anti-Rh antibodies which would destroy the negative donor's blood cells?