RN applying for pharmacy school

Started by wlau7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wlau7

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi you all!

I am a nursing student who really regretted my choice in going to nursing school. I am graduating from my program in July and planning to apply for pharmacy school next year. Here are some of the questions that I have:

1) For all the RNS who got accepted into a pharmacy school, do you think it is necessary to have some pharmacy experiences before you enter? I currently have several LOR from my clinical instructors in nursing school but none of them really related to pharmacy.

2) Will my hospital experience as a nurse put me in advantage during admission consideration?

3) For the admission essay, how did you all relate your nursing experience to pharmacy?

4) Did you all get a really high science GPA, and is it necessary to get over a 3.0 GPA for science? My current nursing GPA is 3.4, my overall GPA in undergrad was a 3.2 with a science GPA of 2.9. Am I going to be in trouble?

Thanks so much for your help!
 
Hi you all!

I am a nursing student who really regretted my choice in going to nursing school. I am graduating from my program in July and planning to apply for pharmacy school next year. Here are some of the questions that I have:

1) For all the RNS who got accepted into a pharmacy school, do you think it is necessary to have some pharmacy experiences before you enter? I currently have several LOR from my clinical instructors in nursing school but none of them really related to pharmacy.

2) Will my hospital experience as a nurse put me in advantage during admission consideration?

3) For the admission essay, how did you all relate your nursing experience to pharmacy?

4) Did you all get a really high science GPA, and is it necessary to get over a 3.0 GPA for science? My current nursing GPA is 3.4, my overall GPA in undergrad was a 3.2 with a science GPA of 2.9. Am I going to be in trouble?

Thanks so much for your help!

I'm not an RN, so I can't speak from that, but a lot of these are broader questions. Why did you pick pharmacy? What makes you think you will like it better than nursing?

1) Pharmacy experience would of course help you, but health care experience is always good.

2) Yes.

3) I'm not an RN, so I can't help with this.

4) I would really try to get that science GPA up. I'm guessing you will need to add at least a few classes to your transcript, and this will be your chance. They look especially at chemistry and OChem, so ace those. You might need to re-take a few courses, too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually I graduated from university with a Molecular and cell biology major before I entered the nursing accelerated program. So basically I have fulfilled all the basic requirements for pharmacy except economic.
 
Have you taken the PCATs yet?
If not, take them before you apply.

And your GPA might come in a little off, but if you have a good PCAT score
Then you definitely have a chance