rocuronium extravasation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I would expect the block to be prolonged but not hugely. Peak serum concentration after IM injection is 13 minutes in the pediatric population (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9366462). I have never had an accidental SQ extravasation, however. Follow loss of twitches and their return. I wouldn't worry about tissue damage, as IM administration is so well described but would apply a warm compress to maximize local blood flow and uptake of the drug. Reverse with 3+ twitches.
 
Thanks. It was a 50kg 13 yo patient, 30 mg of Roc on induction after Sufenta 20 and Propofol 200, was still breathing 2 min later durinf intubation, some swelling noted on the arm at IV site. I did not really noticed any loss of twitches at all. Two hours later reversal, although TOF 4/4 and no fade with tetanus 50. Swelling dissapeared by that time. Thanks again.