sacral insufficiency fracture interventional tx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schmee90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a nice 84 Yo lady with osteoperosis surgeon sent to me with sacral insuf fx, asking for an RFA as she do esnt want any surgical tx. I dont see any evidence for this, or really much to offer her other then rest, tx osteoperosis, and surgical tx options is she wants them or sacroplasty?

Members don't see this ad.

Only interventional treatment with any evidence I’m aware of is sacroplasty.
Anecdotally I’ve had success with caudal epidurals but you will likely want to wait at least three months for adequate healing. even then someone could argue that you’re still negatively affecting the healing process with your steroid

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have a nice 84 Yo lady with osteoperosis surgeon sent to me with sacral insuf fx, asking for an RFA as she do esnt want any surgical tx. I dont see any evidence for this, or really much to offer her other then rest, tx osteoperosis, and surgical tx options is she wants them or sacroplasty?
Caudal 100%, wait 6M

Whats dose of these meds?

Amy contraindications? Labs tht need to be followed?
Miacalcin is 1 puff alternate nostrils (BID).
Others far too complex for a post. Lots of labs and A DEXA. Ca levels followed if low GFR.
Miacalcin short term only. Others- renal failure or unexplained parathyroid disease gets Endo consult.

Miacalcin is 1 puff alternate nostrils (BID).
Others far too complex for a post. Lots of labs and A DEXA. Ca levels followed if low GFR.
Miacalcin short term only. Others- renal failure or unexplained parathyroid disease gets Endo consult.
Any contraindications to Miacalcin? Seems easy.

I am a pain doc like you.

Going beyond something relatively easy to do with all the other stuff private practice entails would be challenging. I hear the "own the bone" mantra. But logistically stabilizing the fracture and doing something relatively simple is all most of us can do.

Any contraindications to Miacalcin? Seems easy.

I am a pain doc like you.

Going beyond something relatively easy to do with all the other stuff private practice entails would be challenging. I hear the "own the bone" mantra. But logistically stabilizing the fracture and doing something relatively simple is all most of us can do.
Then you need to be able to talk to PCP or whomever will be treating the underlying disease. If she has another fracture, it is your fault.
Miacalcin more than 6 mo associated with potential malignancy.

Reactions: 1 user