Saving During Training

Started by BB Cream
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BB Cream

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I am grateful to have received an MSTP acceptance for the upcoming year. I am starting to plan ahead for this life adjustment, and was wondering if it is common for MD/PhD students to allocate part of their stipend for investments/saving for retirement.

My understanding is that stipends are not considered taxable income and can therefore not be put into a 401(k) account/Roth IRA. Is that correct? For those farther along in their training, do you recommend I should try to save, or not worry about it?
 
I haven't really figured out the tax stuff yet, but we do have to pay taxes on the stipend.

Without accounting for that, I save a little less than half my stipend each month, but I'm probably going to be putting it towards a house instead of another kind of investment.
 
It is taxable (and you should pay them), but not every program has a 401K program, so ask older students in your program what they do. If not, you can still get a Roth IRA/403B and contribute to that. I would recommend saving. I live in the most expensive city in the country, and still manage to put a little bit away every month, so it's definitely doable--even if just for a rainy day fund.