• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

SCCO applications and interviews

theperk

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2008
  1. Pre-Optometry
Hey everyone,
I'm in the process of applying to SCCO. Does anyone have any tips on certain points that should be stressed in the essays? Also, I know some of you had interviews recently. How did those go? Thanks!

blysssful

SUNY c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
NYC
  1. Optometry Student
For the essays, there isn't a whole lot I can tell you. I wrote about what was important to me... and that will surely differ for you. That's why they're personal statements. Think about what is important to you and what you think is important for them and stress those points.

I can only compare my interview at SCCO to the other ones I had (SUNY & NECO), and IMO, it was more intimidating than both of those combined. It was probably just my interviewer, but it certainly felt like every answer I gave wasn't adequate. I walked out of it being 95% confident that I didn't get in... and this was after I had already gone through the other 2 interviews, so it wasn't just nerves.

About the Ads

shakenbake5

SCCO c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
  1. Optometry Student
Everyone's essays will be different depending on your personal experiences and what motivates you. Just be sure to convey your desire to become an optometrist and be able to back up your reasoning. Convince SCCO that you want to go to their school and let them know why you would be a good addition. As far as the interview, I can only compare it to the interview I had at ICO which was more laid back. It can be a little intimidating with three interviewers firing questions at you, but I just took my time, thought carefully about each question and made sure to engage each interviewer. Just relax and be yourself. The interviewers are all very nice and just want to make sure you understand the commitment you are about to make. Good luck with your apps and hopefully I'll be seeing you next year! :)

blysssful

SUNY c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
NYC
  1. Optometry Student
Sorry, I just re-read what I wrote before, and I realize it sounds a little sour. The application & interviewing process is annoying and stressful, but those acceptances are worth it. Like I said, write about what's important to you and make sure you show them that you know what you're getting into.

Good luck :xf:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.