Scheduling question

Started by drob20
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

drob20

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for advice on how best to schedule the MCAT/applications. I am just about to start a post-bacc program in which I'll take Bio/Chem/Phys this Fall/Spring and then OChem next summer. Since I'll be done in mid-August '14, I was thinking of signing up for the latest possible exam (September '14). I realize this only gives me about 3-4 weeks of hardcore MCAT studying but I also plan on studying during the summer while taking ochem (I'll be a full-time student so even with that workload I should have time). I can also sign up for the January 2015 MCAT and still take the current version.

My question: Should I just bank on the January 2015 MCAT and not even bother with the September one?

If I take the September MCAT, should I try to get all my AMCAS stuff in and apply for the Fall '15 cycle? Currently, I am planning on not applying until the 2016 cycle but figure maybe it's worth a shot. Or is that too much with summer ochem and MCAT prep?

Thanks. I realize this may not be super clear what I'm doing. Basically, 1 year post-bacc, ending in August. Should I take September MCAT or just wait until January? Only problem is that if my score sucks, I'm stuck taking the new test.
 
Personally I would recommend finishing your post-bac strong and study Sep-Jan for the January 2015 MCAT. Unless your really set on applying a year earlier it seems like the cleanest route and you can focus solely on the MCAT in a better mental state, knowing your post-bac is behind you.
 
Personally I would recommend finishing your post-bac strong and study Sep-Jan for the January 2015 MCAT. Unless your really set on applying a year earlier it seems like the cleanest route and you can focus solely on the MCAT in a better mental state, knowing your post-bac is behind you.
Thanks for the advice. This is what I was leaning toward as well so it's good to hear some validation.
 
I'm doing the exact same thing - first day of school was today!! 🙂

I've decided to hold off on the MCAT till Jan 2015 and if I don't do well...take it from there. There's only so much pre-planning you can do...The Sept. MCAT will prob not go well if you only have 3 weeks to study for it, on top of a full 2 semesters' worth of Orgo crammed into a summer. So take it in Jan, then go from there!