Screwed?

Started by nieceyj12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nieceyj12

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All - Just looking for some words of advice.

I am a PGY-2 with minimal research experience, but very interested in Heme/Onc. I have a case report, i'm setting up a Bone Marrow Donation drive, I have a ASCO mentor and an RTA to ASCO this year.... all ok. BUT - I started IM as a pre-lim so my schedule is all messed up and I likely won't have a rotation in Onc before applications are due. Am I screwed?

My grades in med-school were good with good, (not great) board scores.

My question - should I even bother applying this year? I ONLY want to go to Emory (location considerations). Is Emory a "TOP" program? Am I gonna need a miracle to get in? Thanks for the help!
 
Your biggest problem is going to be suicide matching. I'll be blunt...that's just a stupid idea all around. Either you want to do Hem/Onc or you don't. "I only want to do Hem/Onc at one place" translates to "I just want to be at this place and don't really want to do Hem/Onc".

Are you an Emory resident? If not, forget it. If so, time to start kissing some major butt over at the Winship.
 
Emory is a competitive place for hem/onc and if you're only going to be applying there, you will be competing on 5 spots with much stronger applicants. It's difficult for me to understand how you're so interested in hem/onc when you still haven't done any onc rotations. My opinion: don't apply this year if you don't want to get screwed.