This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edgydoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's plenty of clinical experience honestly. If you can get shadowing in before the app to check the box, try to, but otherwise you'll be okay.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, as we’re all well aware, obtaining clinical volunteering and shadowing opportunities are very difficult given the current pandemic. However, through my current job scribe, I’ve had the opportunity to accrue about 1800 ER hours and 150 GI hours. I now have the opportunity gain another 100 hrs in Oncology. Would these 3 scribing positions be able to supplement for shadowing without raising any eyebrows or should I still attempt to gain shadowing hours? And if so, how much?

just as a side note, I currently have 0 shadowing hours.

Thank you!!!
So you will have over 2000 hours watching physicians doing their jobs in three different specialties.. I don't see the problem here. :unsure:

Your writing should show that you've been adequately exposed to the field of medicine. You will be given a pass from adcom members for not having formal shadowing experience. I would encourage you to do some additional shadowing during medical school though, prior to committing to a specialty. Best of luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like scribing is actually a lot more significant because it’s actual clinical experience rather than just shadowing. You end up obtaining so much knowledge about the speciality and also medicine and its day-to-day in general/ how to approach a patient and their situation.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello, as we’re all well aware, obtaining clinical volunteering and shadowing opportunities are very difficult given the current pandemic. However, through my current job scribe, I’ve had the opportunity to accrue about 1800 ER hours and 150 GI hours. I now have the opportunity gain another 100 hrs in Oncology. Would these 3 scribing positions be able to supplement for shadowing without raising any eyebrows or should I still attempt to gain shadowing hours? And if so, how much?

Thank you!!!
Scribing is glorified shadowing. It's a triple win because it also counts as patient contact experience, and it's employment too!

Reactions: 3 users
Scribing is glorified shadowing. It's a triple win because it also counts as patient contact experience, and it's employment too!
I would also add that it teaches you soap note documentation, which is very valuable once in medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
I would just be cautious of how you talk about it in an interview. Similar boat as you, where I had > 2000 scribing hours but only 40 hours of true shadowing. Last year I was asked a question in an interview regarding my lack of shadowing experience and I essentially said "I understand that I have limited shadowing experience but I have a lot of scribing experience, which I view as a similar experience except I'm getting paid".

I was not admitted, and I received feedback that said that my interview took that comment to mean that I was "motivated by money".

Reactions: 1 user
I also wonder if it would be even more meaningful, and perceived as such, if a physician you scribe with writes an LOR for you. My position was a scribing position but ended up involving lots of medical assistant duties, so that’s a caveat. But, I really think the letter my boss wrote ended up being really impactful because over the last 2 years in the same job I ended up not just blindly listening but asking questions, critically thinking and helping the doctors and nurses in ways other than just scribing. I think it honestly all just depends on how you personally perceive the experience and use it as a part of your journey to/in medicine.

I also wonder if it would be even more meaningful, and perceived as such, if a physician you scribe with writes an LOR for you. My position was a scribing position but ended up involving lots of medical assistant duties, so that’s a caveat. But, I really think the letter my boss wrote ended up being really impactful because over the last 2 years in the same job I ended up not just blindly listening but asking questions, critically thinking and helping the doctors and nurses in ways other than just scribing. I think it honestly all just depends on how you personally perceive the experience and use it as a part of your journey to/in medicine.
- and how well you communicate that to the physician(s) you work with, if they are writing you a letter.

Thanks for everyone’s input! I’ve been stressing so much about getting in shadowing. I literally had an opportunity lined up March of last year, which was obviously cancelled as it was right when everything started getting shut down. I still have the doctor’s contact info and she (an orthopedist) is more than happy to have me, it’s just a matter of her hospital allowing me. Should I even bother at this point to keep reaching out?

If you can check the box cleanly, do so if only to calm your own nerves. But I wouldn't push things because your resume is solid here. To those reading this who are not as fortunate, I always suggest reaching out to 'your' doctor, especially if you had a longtime pediatrician. That person already has a little invested in your success and may have good ideas or connections.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutors
Med School Tutors

Thank you!!!
I wouldn't worry about lack of shadowing in your case at all. Your scribing has given you a clear view of what being a clinician is like. And unlike shadows, you actually are doing something, albeit it's primarily writing down what you're told to write. Because scribing is active as opposed to passive, I actually think that scribing is better than shadowing. And as several people have said, you get paid!

I would just be cautious of how you talk about it in an interview. Similar boat as you, where I had > 2000 scribing hours but only 40 hours of true shadowing. Last year I was asked a question in an interview regarding my lack of shadowing experience and I essentially said "I understand that I have limited shadowing experience but I have a lot of scribing experience, which I view as a similar experience except I'm getting paid".

I was not admitted, and I received feedback that said that my interview took that comment to mean that I was "motivated by money".

That is just ridiculous. Why in god's name would one waste time shadowing if they are scribing (which is shadowing+) and getting paid. It's a complete win win scenario for everyone involved. Adcoms just forgetting that premeds are humans too and may need to make money? Maybe you simply didn't have enough hours of forced community service to show your altruism.

That is just ridiculous. Why in god's name would one waste time shadowing if they are scribing (which is shadowing+) and getting paid. It's a complete win win scenario for everyone involved. Adcoms just forgetting that premeds are humans too and may need to make money? Maybe you simply didn't have enough hours of forced community service to show your altruism.

Yea, I had several hundred hours of volunteering as well. The whole feedback they gave me was pretty ridiculous. It is what it is..

I had about 1500 hours of scribing (EM and Rheum), and like 8 hours of shadowing. Have had multiple acceptances this cycle, only one asked about low shadowing hours but I was able to talk about scribing experiences. So in my opinion I think you should be fine!

Reactions: 1 users