Sell House before pre reqs?

Started by PMEDIC2DOC
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I don't have any experience with that, but I have seen older students give up everything, and then not do well in their post-bac. It would be nice if you could piece together a DIY post-bac where you are, without giving up your job, house, etc.
 
Having sold our houses in the past, all I can say is that it's a very traumatic experience, so either get it out of the way before classes start, or find a good mgt company and rent it out. Don't forget rental insurance, and avoid Section 8 tenants. No dogs either!!!



Has anyone had experience with having to sell house prior to going to do a post bac program?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We rented section 8 to a couple that were also also husband/wife Post Docs with a newborn( wife didn't work).

You'll have great luck with renting your place if you don't judge your tenants.
 
I did a DIY post bacc. I was form an area with lots of schools to take classes from so I was fortunate. If you're in the position, a DIY is pretty good too compared to a formal that isn't linked.
 
I rented my house and it's still rented and lovely... Goro, I even allowed dogs and cats... all is well... I have a great management company and my tenants are awesome! The biggest thing is see if there is an appliance repair/replacement plan offered by a utility company. That way you don't have to deal with emergencies... sooo helpful, and I still own my house 🙂
 
I didn't have to sell my house, but I DID sell it last year to slim down and return to student life. I didn't want/need the headache of managing (or watching someone else manage) my home, so I decided to sell. For me it was the best decision. No headache, no worries. I can always buy another one (post residency)
 
Having sold our houses in the past, all I can say is that it's a very traumatic experience, so either get it out of the way before classes start, or find a good mgt company and rent it out. Don't forget rental insurance, and avoid Section 8 tenants. No dogs either!!!

Why is it that many renters don't like to rent to Section 8 or Rent To Work tenants? I am just curious.
 
Because they're not responsible tenants, if not outright destructive to the property. Ours had a dog (despite that being forbidden in the lease) which chewed up all the sprinkler heads in the back yard.

Another painted a bed room Pepto-Bismol pink without asking permission!


Why is it that many renters don't like to rent to Section 8 or Rent To Work tenants? I am just curious.
 
Why is it that many renters don't like to rent to Section 8 or Rent To Work tenants? I am just curious.

Classism/Eliteism.

I can think of a million different ways to end up needing section 8 including a couple losing jobs or debt due to a catastrophic illness. This is why I judge people on WHO they are as people, not on their needing social services since ANYONE could end up needing government assistance.