-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Sep 19 PCAT
Started by wooj0313
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I took mine today (9/19/2012) also.
My scores were
Verbal 406/58
Biology 429/88
Reading comp 414/76
Quantitative 430/91
Chemistry 443/95
Composite 424/90
I feel like the chemistry section was especially unexpected and harder than usual... and i don't know what happened in biology 🙁 i usually get high 400s on science and math sections... so I am still not happy about my scores. I wonder if test on different dates might have easier exams.
My scores were
Verbal 406/58
Biology 429/88
Reading comp 414/76
Quantitative 430/91
Chemistry 443/95
Composite 424/90
I feel like the chemistry section was especially unexpected and harder than usual... and i don't know what happened in biology 🙁 i usually get high 400s on science and math sections... so I am still not happy about my scores. I wonder if test on different dates might have easier exams.
Took the PCAT for the first time today and here are my scores:
V 423 (82%)
B 440 (95%)
R 417 (81%)
C 449 (97%)
Q 396 (39%) (got love running out of time)
C 425 (91%)
Now with such a garbage quant score, will I encounter problems applying to schools?
Also, will these scores vary when the official reports are tabulated and sent out?
V 423 (82%)
B 440 (95%)
R 417 (81%)
C 449 (97%)
Q 396 (39%) (got love running out of time)
C 425 (91%)
Now with such a garbage quant score, will I encounter problems applying to schools?
Also, will these scores vary when the official reports are tabulated and sent out?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took mine today (9/19/2012) also.
My scores were
Verbal 406/58
Biology 429/88
Reading comp 414/76
Quantitative 430/91
Chemistry 443/95
Composite 424/90
I feel like the chemistry section was especially unexpected and harder than usual... and i don't know what happened in biology 🙁 i usually get high 400s on science and math sections... so I am still not happy about my scores. I wonder if test on different dates might have easier exams.
I took the PCAT today and the chemistry section WAS DEFINITELY harder than the stuff Dr. Collins and the PCAT Practice Tests threw at us. The RC passages were boring as hell and QA was just brutal (imo). I thought I did so poorly that I contemplated not wanting to send my scores to the pharmacy schools, but luckily I didn't do as bad as I thought.
VA 409/63
Bio 434/91
RC 402/54
QA 423/85
Chem 455/98
Composite 425/91
I'm happy with what I got. Hell, any 9X score is really good! 😀
Last edited:
Congratulations on the composite, not to mention it was your first time.
By the way, how were you able to manage your time on the math. Were you able to get to the end or did you have to guess on some questions?
I was able to get to the end. I had almost 10 minutes left at the end of the exam, so I went over the questions twice.
I took the PCAT today and the chemistry section WAS DEFINITELY harder than the stuff Dr. Collins and the PCAT Practice Tests threw at us. The RC passages were boring as hell and QA was just brutal (imo). I thought I did so poorly that I contemplated not wanting to send my scores to the pharmacy schools, but luckily I didn't do as bad as I thought.
VA 409/63
Bio 434/91
RC 402/54
QA 423/85
Chem 455/98
Composite 425/91
I'm happy with what I got. Hell, any 9X score is really good! 😀
RIGHT?! the chem section was so hard! I felt like most of what I studied for wasn't on the test and I was just like WhY the hell I spend so many hours on the other stuff. I was scared too at the end that I did badly.. But i guess it wasn't as goodd. yes anything over 90 is good i should be happier lol.
Although I like to believe also, I don't think the scores or percentiles will be much different on the official scores. And about your quant score, it isn't that good but your other scores are fantastic so I don't think you should think too much about it. I mean overall you still got 91% which is awesome. I think the people on the board will be impressed about how well u did in the other sections than say anything negative about your quant score. Im sure everything will turn out fine!Took the PCAT for the first time today and here are my scores:
V 423 (82%)
B 440 (95%)
R 417 (81%)
C 449 (97%)
Q 396 (39%) (got love running out of time)
C 425 (91%)
Now with such a garbage quant score, will I encounter problems applying to schools?
Also, will these scores vary when the official reports are tabulated and sent out?
Seriously, I took the PCAT today. Verbal Ability was a killer. Biology section was nothing (literally NADA) like the Collins or even the Pearson practice Tests, maybe like 2 questions somewhat related to the Collins but that was all. I do not know if there are easier forms of the test but If not I don't know how people get 90s. I got 90s for my Math and Chem but Bio threw me off. 🙁(
What was so different for Biology and Chemistry from Collins and Pearsons practice tests? Was it not focused on the material covered on those tests? or was it more detailed?
My daughter took the PCAT first time today. She ran out of time on math and had to guess half of them. Her scores are VA 99, RC 88, Bio 82, QA 55, Chem 99. Composite 97. Does anyone know a low score of QA 55 will decrease her chance to be accepted by pharmacy school? Thanks!
Hi everyone, I took the PCAT today and I promised myself yesterday that I would write on this forum to help all out the people who haven't yet taken it!
First things first. I would recommend taking a lot of practice tests and simply expanding your knowledge in general. Read a lot of biology. And do a lot of practice questions for chemistry.
Second, the Pearson practice tests are similar to the real test. Keep that in mind while you are practicing.
Just try your best!
First things first. I would recommend taking a lot of practice tests and simply expanding your knowledge in general. Read a lot of biology. And do a lot of practice questions for chemistry.
Second, the Pearson practice tests are similar to the real test. Keep that in mind while you are practicing.
Just try your best!
Did you take the pearson exams? If so, were they helpful?
Do you have any suggestions for time management, I am really struggling especially for QA and Chem are there a lot of variable questions for Chem (Ex calculations)
Also did you find that you were running out of time? esp for QA and Chem
Thanks!
Do you have any suggestions for time management, I am really struggling especially for QA and Chem are there a lot of variable questions for Chem (Ex calculations)
Also did you find that you were running out of time? esp for QA and Chem
Thanks!
Are the pearson exams a lot similar? For instance, do the exams reflect the changes that have been made to the PCAT exam. For the bio and chem sections?Hi everyone, I took the PCAT today and I promised myself yesterday that I would write on this forum to help all out the people who haven't yet taken it!
First things first. I would recommend taking a lot of practice tests and simply expanding your knowledge in general. Read a lot of biology. And do a lot of practice questions for chemistry.
Second, the Pearson practice tests are similar to the real test. Keep that in mind while you are practicing.
Just try your best!
There is more Biochem and Orgo on the real PCAT. There is also more AP and Microbio in the bio sections. But the rest is similar, imo but others think the pcat was a lot harder than the pearson practice testsAre the pearson exams a lot similar? For instance, do the exams reflect the changes that have been made to the PCAT exam. For the bio and chem sections?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What was so different for Biology and Chemistry from Collins and Pearsons practice tests? Was it not focused on the material covered on those tests? or was it more detailed?
Collins is flat out AWFUL for biology. I read through the "study guide" that he gives you and it sucked. If it wasn't for remembering stuff from general bio, physio and biochem, Collins bio would have made me fail the bio portion. It doesn't go into enough detail as the actual PCAT goes into.
However, the difficult questions on Collins' chemistry practice tests are literally dead on with the real PCAT chemistry questions. I attribute my chem score to his practice tests (scroll above to see what I got in that section).
Did you take the pearson exams? If so, were they helpful?
Do you have any suggestions for time management, I am really struggling especially for QA and Chem are there a lot of variable questions for Chem (Ex calculations)
Also did you find that you were running out of time? esp for QA and Chem
Thanks!
I took all 3 official practice exams and they were VERY helpful in understanding how the test was laid out and what my score was going to look like after taking the real one. It's definitely worth the $80 to take all 3 of them. Comparing the official practice exams to the real one, the real one is a little bit more difficult. Oh and the reading passages are awfully boring lol.
Regarding time management, what I did was look at each problem. If I knew HOW to get the answer (not actually come up with the answer) within 5 seconds, I did the problem. If I had some idea, or even no idea, I immediately skipped the problem and went to the next one. If you're stuck on one problem and stay on that problem, you're effectively shooting yourself in the foot because that's the trap the PCAT wants to put you in. There are easy questions scattered across all 48 questions and you don't want to run out of time and possibly realize that problem 48 was one of the easy questions. Missing a hard problem is the same as missing an easy one.
Other than that, practice making lightning-quick decisions. I routinely had time left over on the practice PCAT tests to go over my answers but when the real test came around, I just barely finished each section with around a minute or 2 remaining on the clock.
Last edited:
Did you get the july update from Collins? The Bio update was VERY helpful for the real PCATCollins is flat out AWFUL for biology. I read through the "study guide" that he gives you and it sucked. If it wasn't for remembering stuff from general bio, physio and biochem, Collins bio would have made me fail the bio portion. It doesn't go into enough detail as the actual PCAT goes into.
However, the difficult questions on Collins' chemistry practice tests are literally dead on with the real PCAT chemistry questions. I attribute my chem score to his practice tests (scroll above to see what I got in that section).
Hey GRIMEWIZARD!! could you PLEASSE tell me what was on the july update!
or by any chance...scan it to me...you don't need to i don't want to be causing you trouble, but if you can't can you tell me some of the things that were on there, you don't need to be specific but like tell me somethings that were on there that i can study. my PCATS in 3 days!!
or by any chance...scan it to me...you don't need to i don't want to be causing you trouble, but if you can't can you tell me some of the things that were on there, you don't need to be specific but like tell me somethings that were on there that i can study. my PCATS in 3 days!!
Did you get the july update from Collins? The Bio update was VERY helpful for the real PCAT
I did not actually get the July update. The most recent one I got was the January one. I'm just curious but what content did that update have?
I did not actually get the July update. The most recent one I got was the January one. I'm just curious but what content did that update have?
I only have the January update as well.. It's a little too late to order the July update because I am taking it next week, and I am also wondering what was so helpful on the July update!
I only have the January update as well.. It's a little too late to order the July update because I am taking it next week, and I am also wondering what was so helpful on the July update!
In the July update Collins took out the animal/plant bio questions and added more AP and micro. For the Chem he cut down on the number of gen chem questions and added more Ochem and Biochem questions. Basically, he made the new practice tests in the July update more realistic and it was very similar to the real PCAT. If theres anyway to get the July update I would get it, i think its only $20 for an update if you bought his stuff before
In the July update Collins took out the animal/plant bio questions and added more AP and micro. For the Chem he cut down on the number of gen chem questions and added more Ochem and Biochem questions. Basically, he made the new practice tests in the July update more realistic and it was very similar to the real PCAT. If theres anyway to get the July update I would get it, i think its only $20 for an update if you bought his stuff before
Thanks a bunch for the info!!! Ahhh, probably won't be able to get the update in time through snail mail before I take it next week. Hopefully, the pearson practice exams help for the new sections!!
The Cliffs practice exam book was definitely more difficult, but I found it was helpful to over prepare for the exam so that the Chem/Bio sections breeze by easily. I am not sure which book would have been helpful for the Quant section since I ran out of time and my score was garbage. I plan on writing a review for many of the books since I have nearly every one of them and I have one PCAT taken care of. Keep an eye out for it in the next few days when I have time from teaching/research.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 9K