This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1038378

:coffee:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reapplying, but I had no real red flags the first time around, just ended up waitlisted everywhere. Feedback from schools was generally alright, some said get little more shadowing, others said I needed to be more memorable. I made some improvements to my application, especially when it came to writing. However, should I mention how I changed in the past year? I'm hesitant to do that because the changes weren't dramatic or anything. Except for some publications, its just been more clinical and nonclinical experience. And I've been working on my interview skills, but doubt that is something I should mention. So should I mention being a reapplicant or is it better to not draw attention? And, would it be a better use of space to add a diversity essay or a "why this school" essay?

I wouldn't bother. Lots of people reapply every year, we know the drill.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Do not use optional essay for why us or diversity; if they wanted that they would have asked
2) if you are a reapplicant at the school, particularly if WL, I would note you have improved or increase in X,Y,Z. I would make it brief and not overly "dramatic".

"As as am reapplicant/was on WL, (if you got feedback from this school you could mention that). I have taken the opportunity in the past year to increase my shadowing hours, a new volunteering gig, and have been part of a research project that published" Essentially you just want to point out improvements from last time that should have been mentioned in new app already

Is it not best to not draw attention to being a reapplicant unless explicitly asked? Also, if a prompt asks an applicant if there is anything else he/she would like to share, isn’t this grounds to talk about anything (e.g., diversity)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it not best to not draw attention to being a reapplicant unless explicitly asked? Also, if a prompt asks an applicant if there is anything else he/she would like to share, isn’t this grounds to talk about anything (e.g., diversity)?
As Med Ed already pointed out, lots of people reapply.

The stigma against reapplicants is SDN hype. The true problem is reapplying when nothing in your app has changed, EXCEPT when you applied late in cycle 1 and now are applying early in #2.

Which way do you lean on this? MedEd seems to think it's not worth bringing up, while Gonnif seems to say it is.

@gyngyn @LizzyM if y'all could chime in too.

The "disagreement" stems from the fact that it's not a very significant decision either way. No one will ding you for not using the space to highlight changes from the previous cycle, but the changes you intend to highlight don't sound particularly noteworthy. Don't expect a resounding consensus.

Reactions: 1 users
yes, it is to talk about something that isnt presented in your application that you believe would have an impact on the committee. If you have evidence of working in a diverse community, in a different cultural context, with underserved, marginalized, or stigmatized groups, that should have been made clear in your Activities, PS, or secondary. There is no reason to just put in a diversity essay because other schools have it.

Yes, but isn't diversity something that would have a positive impact on the committee? Also, if your advice is to briefly mention improvements on the app in an optional essay, wouldn't this be a waste of characters that could be used to better express something more meaningful to the committee?

But why hasnt your work in diversity mentioned in your W&A, PS, or elsewhere?

For me personally, my diversity essays revolve my musical experiences as a performer and teacher. Character limits in the primary prevent me from fully talking about every aspect of these activities and it’s not really relevant to why I decided to become a doctor. That being said, I’m sure there are things from my music experiences that can contribute to medicine/medical schools. Secondaries just seemed like a good place to talk more about aspects of this that I previously have not mentioned in primaries, when appropriate.