Should I apply coming app cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

phant0m0o0o

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Just to keep it short and sweet I had huge issues and bombed my college career for a lot of credits. I mean BOMB like GPA of 1.5-2 ish. For the last two years I have made that up with 23+ credits a semester with 92 credit hours of A(retaken all prereq and all high level bio/chem courses) and 3 credit hours of B. My GPA should just lift above a 3.0 by graduation this spring. One of my advisors says I should just apply now but I am weary due to the low gpa. My extracurriculars are good and letters of recommendation are stellar. Interviewing skills probably mediocre at best and practice mcats are around 35-37.(Taking mcat in jun after my wedding wee 😀). At this point it takes an incredible amount of A's to move my GPA +.5. Is it worth it if I do well in my MCAT to apply this term or hold off and go another path? I am looking at SMP's however cost is an issue. Thanks.

Thomas
 
Hello,

Just to keep it short and sweet I had huge issues and bombed my college career for a lot of credits. I mean BOMB like GPA of 1.5-2 ish. For the last two years I have made that up with 23+ credits a semester with 92 credit hours of A(retaken all prereq and all high level bio/chem courses) and 3 credit hours of B. My GPA should just lift above a 3.0 by graduation this spring. One of my advisors says I should just apply now but I am weary due to the low gpa. My extracurriculars are good and letters of recommendation are stellar. Interviewing skills probably mediocre at best and practice mcats are around 35-37.(Taking mcat in jun after my wedding wee 😀). At this point it takes an incredible amount of A's to move my GPA +.5. Is it worth it if I do well in my MCAT to apply this term or hold off and go another path? I am looking at SMP's however cost is an issue. Thanks.

Thomas

If your MCAT is that high and you have moved your GPA that far, then you might have a chance. I'd apply for one cycle, at least, before giving up.
 
Thank you for your advice. I have been scoring that high on practice tests but I keep hearing that on the actual test you will actually score much lower so I am not exactly banking on that. I forgot to mention another reason I am weary is that my advisor told me about a year ago that applying before your ready is a detriment as reapplicants are not considered as strong. Apparently you have to check off a box that says you already applied before. I am just so OCD about this right now and want to put the best application I can in and if means delaying it I will 🙁