Apr 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I graduated last year and I’m currently in the middle of studying for the MCAT to take it May 1st. My issue is letters of rec. I really messed up by not spending more time getting to know my professors. I did go to one of the largest universities in the country but I know I could have put more effort into getting to know my professors. I have one non science letter that I think will be good, one letter from my supervisor at my current job that will be strong, but no science professors that know me well enough to write a strong letter. I was hoping to try to email professors from courses I did well in and who seem nice enough to help me out but they will most likely be generic letters and I don’t want to hurt my chances. Everything else in my app is fine (3.89 cGPA, 3.81 sGPA, URM, 700 hours of paid clinical experience, 800 paid non clinical work experience, 200 clinical volunteering, 500 non clinical volunteering, 500 hours research with 1 poster and 2 presentations)

I really don’t want to take another year as I’m already taking two but I will if that’s the better option. What should I do? Thanks in advance!

DocJanItor

2+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Start emailing them now, ask if you can do a zoom meeting for 10 or 15 minutes. That will give them a chance to get to know you and write appropriate letters.

Reactions: 1 user

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Start emailing them now, ask if you can do a zoom meeting for 10 or 15 minutes. That will give them a chance to get to know you and write appropriate letters.
I fully agree with this very sage counsel.

And be sure to ask your profs "Do you know me well enough to write a good letter for my med school application?"

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.