Should I retake some courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GeorgiaGuy

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some guidance about what course of action I should take. I am currently a sophomore in college, and I have currently made some unimpressive grades in prereq courses for PT school. I made a C+ in statistics and Chem I and a C in Chem II. I have made two B's in Anatomy I/II and I will hopefully be pulling A's in both physics courses. I have also made a B in the first Biology. I feel pretty confident I could make an A in statistics if I retook it, but both of the Chems at my school are really difficult to pass with a B (let alone an A). So I am wondering if you think I should plan on retaking these courses at different universities or should I really try to take the course at the same university? I am planning on taking the GRE next year, and I will also be shadowing PTs this summer and over the breaks. I am also looking at an opportunity to go with a physical therapist to study abroad in Ireland to work with people with developmental disabilities. I just feel like I am at a cross road if I could even get into a DPT program. Thank you for any feedback in advance!
 
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some guidance about what course of action I should take. I am currently a sophomore in college, and I have currently made some unimpressive grades in prereq courses for PT school. I made a C+ in statistics and Chem I and a C in Chem II. I have made two B's in Anatomy I/II and I will hopefully be pulling A's in both physics courses. I have also made a B in the first Biology. I feel pretty confident I could make an A in statistics if I retook it, but both of the Chems at my school are really difficult to pass with a B (let alone an A). So I am wondering if you think I should plan on retaking these courses at different universities or should I really try to take the course at the same university? I am planning on taking the GRE next year, and I will also be shadowing PTs this summer and over the breaks. I am also looking at an opportunity to go with a physical therapist to study abroad in Ireland to work with people with developmental disabilities. I just feel like I am at a cross road if I could even get into a DPT program. Thank you for any feedback in advance!

I would highly recommend that you retake all courses with a C grade.
 
First, thank you for your advice, but do you think that I should retake them at my same university? Do DPT schools even care if you retake them at different universities?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok awesome--I really appreciate everyone giving me some good advice. I understand that GPA plays a major role in one's acceptance, but do any of the other things I have mentioned make me a viable candidate for getting in? Specifically, would that service learning experience really aid in my acceptance to a DPT program? I just know that even if a DPT school averages my retakes from a C+/C to an A (hopefully) then that puts me at a 3.0 average for those courses.
 
Agree, focus on grades first and foremost. I would go as far to say spend the summer retaking stuff vs traveling abroad.