This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepingPillow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Immediately cancel all the extra crap until you are getting As. No research, no clubs, no nothing

Reactions: 2 users
Med schools want to see applicants who are A students in the classroom not A students in their ECs. All the volunteering in the world won't save a lousy GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I'll plan to not volunteer next semester. However, I still want to keep up with research so I can continue in the summer rather than having nothing to do (classes are not an option). My bad grades are mostly due to not knowing how to study when I got to college, but last semester I really turned it around and have an idea on how to improve even more, so I feel like it would be a waste to throw out my other commitments when my time management got a lot better. It's just that for orgo I think I needed to be consistently studying, rather than just the week before. I poured in the most time for that class but was just average in the class (it's notoriously difficult here).

I'd prioritize GPA, Clinical/Non-Clinical Volunteering, Research, then o/ EC in that order. Don't know if many Adcoms would bother looking past a poor GPA to see everything else.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, I'll plan to not volunteer next semester. However, I still want to keep up with research so I can continue in the summer rather than having nothing to do (classes are not an option). My bad grades are mostly due to not knowing how to study when I got to college, but last semester I really turned it around and have an idea on how to improve even more, so I feel like it would be a waste to throw out my other commitments when my time management got a lot better. It's just that for orgo I think I needed to be consistently studying, rather than just the week before. I poured in the most time for that class but was just average in the class (it's notoriously difficult here).
If you didn’t have all As last semester you aren’t listening.

It’s America, you don’t have to listen, which is good because it sure seems like you aren’t. Good luck either way

If you didn’t have all As last semester you aren’t listening.

It’s America, you don’t have to listen, which is good because it sure seems like you aren’t. Good luck either way

I heard ya loud and clear. It's just that I've posted on here before with my situation asking about improving my GPA, but nobody suggested that I drop everything I have now, but instead suggested that I just keep pushing for 3.7-3.8 and bring the adjustments from last semester forward and more.

OP, the individuals who told you to continue what you were doing and keep 'pushing' until you had better grades were wrong. I also had a bad freshman year, I was also mother Theresa with my ECs but mother Theresa-like ECs don't compensate for a trash GPA.

I dropped all my ECs going into this year and left just clinical volunteering and now I'm a lot happier, less stressed, and my GPA is looking better. I worked on my mistake and I'm planning on slowly adding back ECs.

If it isn't working now, and it didn't work then, it won't work in the future.

Just for the record

GPA>Volunteering>Research>Clubs+