This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1038378

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all. In fact, gauge and see if those interests could be used to expand the school's footprints in those areas if they are interested in that. I can't imagine a school wouldn't want to expand their helping hand to more diverse populations or expand their research. Also, don't forget nontraditional definitions of diversity. Is there a particular facet about an area that seems homogenous that you could key into. Offer to be a leader in building some infrastructure for things that drive you.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
For example, let's say I am interested in caring for diverse patients, but the school is located in a non-diverse area. Or if I'm interested in research, but the school does not have strong research. Should I avoid mentioning these?
There's this thing, and it's called residency, and schools know that you can follow your interest in that.

What's more important is that you have evidence to back up your interests. It's easy to say you want to work with the diverse populations when you have only been volunteering in say a nice wealthy Suburban Hospital.

Definitiely, I have only talked about passions that match my experiences and upbringing.

How about the "good fit" aspect? Schools always want a student who is a "good fit" for them. So if someone is interested in serving minority patients, then would that be worth mentioning at a school like Geisel which is in a city that is 81% white and a state that is 94% white. I know residency is separate, but will schools be turned off, thinking the student is not a "good fit."
I think that the good fit is decided more after interviews.

You're overthinking this. Even U IA, in the whitest state of the Union, wants doctors who will be willing to treat diverse populations. If you walk the walk and don't merely talk the talk, you'll be fine anywhere.

BTW, it's OK to say you're rested in specialties event at schools whose primary mission is to train primary care docs.