Step II Skipping USMLE step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lost Vagus

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll make this quick.

DO Student heading in to 4th year. Interested in PM&R. I took the USMLE step 1 and got below average (210).

Is it worth it to take step 2 and try to improve my score, or is it too much of a risk to fail/not improve enough? I'm not a great test taker, and if I could avoid taking the exam without it being a significant disadvantage, I would like to. I currently am scheduled to take both the Comlex 2 and Usmle step 2 in about a month and started studying this week.

Will a poor usmle step 2 score look worse than not taking the exam at all? I've asked this question to a few different people and I'm getting mixed feed back. A few people have told me to just forget usmle step 2, focus on passing Comlex 2, and if I am asked during an interview why I didn't take it.. to say I wanted to focus on Comlex 2. (I've also heard of DO students in the past taking the USMLE step 2 and then not reporting it.. but I don't think this is a good idea at all).

Other people have told me that not taking the USMLE step 2 as a DO student with below average board scores is another strike. What are you thoughts?

Should DO students take USMLE step 2 if they are interested in (Less) competitive fields and want to pursue ACGME residency programs?
 
Last edited:
Have you identified what makes you not a great test taker?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using SDN mobile
Not really. I mean I've never failed an exam in medical school and I passed all my shelf exams. Just wasn't happy with my step 1 score. I have a lot of test anxiety and end up running out of time because I get bogged down by things I don't know.

I'm sure knowledge gap is part of the problem. I've always been a middle/lower middle of the road medical student. Probably didn't study enough. It is what it is.

I think I'm probably stuck taking step 2.
 
Last edited: