SMP application timeline question

Started by tastyb33f
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tastyb33f

Last name Hungry, first name Always
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've completed all my med school prereqs (even got my Bachelor's degree - imagine that!), I'm currently doing molecular biology research for a biotech company, and I happen to have a pretty good set of GRE scores on hand. I took the GRE this past February as backup, and I now know that the SMP programs I'm really interested in, particularly Georgetown, actually accept GRE scores for application, but only if you agree to take the MCAT later.

My timeline: study for MCAT now and take it 1/30/2010 (I took a prep course earlier this year but decided not to take the exam). My question is, considering I have all my information ready to go (including all my rec letters and GRE scores), should I start applying to the open SMPs NOW or wait till later (meaning until after I have an MCAT score)? I can't figure out what the best use of my time would be right now - to focus all my attention on work and studying for MCAT or to split some of that attention to filling out the applications as well.

Thanks!