This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How likely am I to get into an SMP as a Canadian?
Should be OK at schools that accept international students. Your stats are fine right now for the ~14 DO schools that take Canadians,a especially UNECOM and MSUCOM. So I suggest you take your MCAT when ready and apply directly the the med schools, not SMPs.

What's the application process like for an SMP? Are there any Canadians who have experience with this and how did it impact your application to med school?
Like applying to med school, but with less requirements for EC. My program wants to see an interest in Medicine and that you know what you're getting into.

Are there different SMP's for MD and DO schools? Can one SMP work for both?
Many MD and DO schools have SMP organized along the same lines. At some you take classes witht hem ed students, others are the same material, but just given to the SMP students. Yes, one can work for both. My SMP grads have gotten into MD schools.

Is there a list of SMP's that accept and are favourable to Canadian students?
Haven't a clue

PS. I also posted this on the MD page because I thought it was relevant to both.
Don't cross post
[/QUOTE]

Hello everyone, I hope you're all staying safe :)

I'm graduating this June with a BSc in biology. My cGPA is 3.59 with a very strong upward trend: 3.21->3.56->3.83->3.94. Science GPA is very close to that with a similar trend. MCAT is 508. I know my chances of getting into med school are very low at this point (GPA and as a Canadian). I'm applying to an SMP in hopes that it will improve my application and my GPA. I do have a couple of questions that I haven't found the answer to online.

How likely am I to get into an SMP as a Canadian?

What's the application process like for an SMP? Are there any Canadians who have experience with this and how did it impact your application to med school?

Are there different SMP's for MD and DO schools? Can one SMP work for both?

Is there a list of SMP's that accept and are favourable to Canadian students?

If you have advice on a different plan to improve my application, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

PS. I also posted this on the MD page because I thought it was relevant to both.
I know my SMP is friendly to canadians. Fairly easy to apply into, can use mcat in place of GRE.

Has conditional interview guarentee to the MD school (~502 MCAT and top 20% of class). School itself recruits about 20% of its class each year from its SMP graduate pool.

Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine in Scranton PA.

Sent from my SM-G975U using SDN mobile

Hello, Chicken Nuggets Are Superior,

My name is Andrew and I am a former SMP at Georgetown University who graduated from Georgetown SOM this May. I will be starting my orthopaedic surgery residency come July in NYC! I'd be happy to help review any application you have and answer any of your questions regarding SMP choices, program reputation, and successes of different Special Masters Programs.

Feel free to email as well ([email protected]).

Andrew