Step I Step 1 percentiles

Started by vomer
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vomer

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I am studying for Step 1 and wanted to know if anyone could tell me how the percentiles break down for Step 1? Example--what is 80th and 90th percentile equal to on the real score.

Thanks and any advice you have on CONQUERING Step 1 would be appreciated.
 
Originally posted by vomer
Hi guys,

I am studying for Step 1 and wanted to know if anyone could tell me how the percentiles break down for Step 1? Example--what is 80th and 90th percentile equal to on the real score.

Thanks and any advice you have on CONQUERING Step 1 would be appreciated.

The best I can tell you is that you is that if you assume a bell shaped curve, you can estimate your percentile when given the mean and standard deviations with z-scores. 1 SD = about 66% of the curve, 2 SD = 95%, 3 SD = 98-99%. So if the mean is 215, SD is 20, and you get a 235, you're percentile is approximately 83 percentile (50th percentile = 215 = mean/median/mode + 66/2 for both sides).

This assumes alot, but will give you a rough idea. It's not a perfect bell shaped curve, I'm sure, so in reality, you prob. should n't assume mean=median=mode.

mike