Step I Step1 preparation techniques

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

parentof101

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am US Med student. Planning to take Step1 in couple of months. Overwhelmed by the excessive amount of books and materials.
1. Anyone use 3rd party coaching like Kaplan, Osmosis etc-- how useful are they?
2. I am crunched for time -- any strategies for test-prep (not good at rote approach).
 
I am US Med student. Planning to take Step1 in couple of months. Overwhelmed by the excessive amount of books and materials.
1. Anyone use 3rd party coaching like Kaplan, Osmosis etc-- how useful are they?
2. I am crunched for time -- any strategies for test-prep (not good at rote approach).

The scores thread is the standard place where you can find the latest/best advice from people taking the exam. You're going to get +/- opinions regarding pretty much any resource out there. If you're in the yellow-zone of a few months out, your priority should be pretty much just questions + FA. That's your hyper-simplified answer. But the bottom line is that if you're coddling up against USMLE Secrets, Kaplan videos, and lots of other resources outside of just plain, raw Qs/FA right now, that's a non-ideal trajectory. My two cents.
 
Personally, I find it difficult to just sit down and read FA, and I don't think anyone should be doing this--you'll forget 95% of it after two weeks. What has worked well for me and others I've seen is making your own Anki flashcards based off of your UWorld incorrects, and spending a lot of time reviewing the NBME practice tests. I am not a fan of Kaplan.