This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolwoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Strecker: aldehyde with R group + ammonia -> becomes imine -> add cyanide -> cyanide hydrolysis = amino acid
Gabriel: phthalimide salt + diester/halide/R group -> de-esterification -> decarboxylation -> amino acid.

Watch the KA video on it and that should be all you need to know.

probably not. memorizing individual mechanisms beyond SN1 and SN2 becomes low-yield pretty quickly. do some review, but i wouldn't bother spending a huge amount of time on it.

I'd say if you didn't want to memorize the whole thing (and you really don't have too, max 1 question on this), just know where the R group is for each, so you can tell them what amino acid is made.

Those two reactions are specifically named in the AAMC study guide, so DEFINITELY know them. Everything, and I mean everything in their guide is fair game to asked on the MCAT at any level of weirdness or detail. My exam had some questions that could have easily been blown off during studying and considered low yield. After taking my test I can tell you that NOTHING is low yield. If it's in their official outline, then know it.

Beattheprocess shows how simple it is to summarize in your mind. It's not that much information. As for Khan videos, I found that while they were easy to follow and helpful for learning, they didn't help very much for actually answering questions. Forget watching a video and instead do a couple passages on both mechanisms and you'll be fine. My review books had at least two passages on both of them, and that was perfect.

Reactions: 1 users