Summer job advice

Started by inquirer89
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

inquirer89

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been calling around for a clerk or tech position at all of the retail pharmacies in my area, and none of them currently have any open positions. I've been volunteering at a clinical pharmacy and I could possibly land a job there, but I really want to get retail experience because I have never seen that aspect of pharmacy yet.

I could keep searching and work at the hospital in the meanwhile. Or I could work as a regular store associate at CVS, Riteaid, etc. first and then apply for a pharm position if it ever opens up- but at least my foot will be in the door. I'm just worried that I might be stuck as a store cashier for a long time when I really want to get as much pharmacy experience as I can. What do you all think?
 
I have been having troubles finding a tech position also. One of the dominicks store near my house wanted me to work full-time year round. If you have four to five classes, especially upper-level division classes, it becomes hard to manage. Part-time positions are much more difficult to find. Also, obtaining your license might help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It will be tough, but if you can get in as even a clerk somewhere that can lead to something good. A lot of times if you tell them that you are applying to pharmacy school they will be more willing to get you experience as a tech faster. So hopefully you won't end up spending much time as a clerk anyway.
 
check on craigslist.org for openings. if they post on there, then it means they are REALLY in need of hiring someone. Go to the store that posted the ad and speak to the manager.
 
I appreciate the help guys. Yeah I started my search about 3 weeks ago, thinking I'll be early for summer, but after calling literally every single retail pharmacy within 30min of my home, I have yet to find anything. I have went to some of the individual stores and handed a resume to the manager. I explained that I was a pre-pharm student, but a lot of them said that their positions were already filled with students currently in pharm school. I haven't tried all of the independents yet though.

I guess I'll have to settle working as a store associate until there's an opening. Wish me luck!