switching IM to EM

Started by producenj
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

producenj

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently matched at middle a of the road university program for internal medicine in the NYC area. After doing a late fourth year rotation in EM and volunteering at an Urgent Care center for indigent patients I want to make the switch to EM. I am planning on starting and finishing my PGY-1 year in IM. I will admit that I did not pass Step 1 till my third try with a 218, but passed Step 2 on my first attempt with a 206. I did not have the greatest deans letter in the world either, but I am an American grad. First off, how can I go upon reapplying? Can I transfer into a PGY-2 spot for EM? Should I call 2-3-4 programs in EM and ask if they have open positions? Or should I just thank my lucky stars I have a residency and just let the whole thing be? Thanks for any help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.