Taking a break from research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I think it will be ok. The reason I asked is because it would make a difference what the best option is. If you had one year left, you could conceivably just stop doing research for now and apply. With 2 years left, you might as well seek out whatever opportunities are available and see if there is something else you are interested in.

I don't think it's really that bad. While it does look nice to have a long, consecutive research experience in one lab, for many people that simply isn't practical (as you seem to have discovered). Funding, moving labs, etc. Many people may have only 2 or 3 relatively short-term research experiences, and that's ok. I think there is a certain personal value for you in exploring different areas as well. You will have that much more experience when you are ready to choose a lab and get started. Just find something else you are interested in and make it a compelling story for why you switched.

Or, perhaps even go back to the lab you were working in recently and see if you can work there again. If you were a good worker, they probably won't care that you quit if you explain the circumstances.