Taking the PCAT before applying?

Started by Maryam I
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Maryam I

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I tired to look around to see if this question had already been answered but I havent found it so far, but is it necessary to take the PCAT before turning in your application? I always thought it would be but in another thread I read about how someone wanted to take their PCAT in October for the 2011 cycle and the advice they got was to make sure that their application and secondary applications were done/being processed at the time they turn in their scores. If it is normal for people to take the test after turning in their application and if so how far is it advisable to wait?
I'm signed up to take the PCAT this June but I'm starting to think about changing it to the August date, but I still wanted to apply as soon as I could.
I have another question for you guys, I will have a chance to get pharmacy volunteer hours this Summer and since it would be my only pharmacy related volunteer experience that I could put down on my application do you think I should wait until August to apply? Would it put me at a disadvantage compared to everyone who has applied earlier?
Thanks so much
 
No, but you must be registered to take the PCAT before each schools deadline for PCAT.

If you do not feel ready for the test, wait until August. I'd recommend taking it in June and retaking in August if need be.

The only advantage to filing your application in June rather than August is for rolling admission schools. Use PharmCAS to look this up for each school you are applying to.