Tattoos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

superpt123

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering about your thoughts about physical therapists having tattoos. I really want to get a tattoo on my forearm but I know most health professions are pretty conservative so i'm a little hesitant. Any thoughts on this this? thanks!
 
Some employers may have policies regarding tatoos. A former employer of mine requried that all tatoos need to be able to be readily covered by clothing and were to be covered during working hours.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Outside of debating being conservative or being judged, many employers just flat out ban visible tattoos. So you can limit your job options or relegate yourself to wearing long-sleeves year round. One hospital system I've worked for went as far as enforcing the no visble tattoos policy in the aquatic therapy environment. So anything visble in a bathing suit had to be covered too, which I'd imagine isn't always comfortable in a 100 degree pool.