Texas Tech vs. Rochester

Started by koster35
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

koster35

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, would y’all recommend Rochester over Tech in order to get a good residency? Tech is a third of the price after scholarships (60K compared to 19K). Lubbock (TX) is also much cheaper to live in. However, I feel like Rochester is more well known and might help to get me a better residency? Thoughts?
 
Honestly with step 1 becoming p/f, I would just play it safe and choose the more well known/higher ranked program in case I end up choosing a more competitive specialty! Better safe than sorry! Though the low tuition is enticing!
 
If you can survive living in Lubbock - I'd recommend Tech.

Rochester is more well known, and may help you get into a better residency. However there's a difference of 150K+ (more if you factor cost of living). I'd take the cheaper option as it will still open enough doors.
Honestly with step 1 becoming p/f, I would just play it safe and choose the more well known/higher ranked program in case I end up choosing a more competitive specialty! Better safe than sorry! Though the low tuition is enticing!
What if the decision was between Rochester and UT San Antonio (same cost but better ranking)? Same answers?