The "how am i doing so far" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dudecoolname

words under my username
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I thought it would be a cool idea to have a thread where people explain their grades/situation so far in undergrad. and they could get some advise.

Im technically just starting Pre-pharm. next semester so all ive taken so far is:

Eng comp. 1: B
Guitar (for art credit): A
College Algebra: B

GPA so far: 3.33

I could have done a lot better, but I wasnt as worried about GPA since I was undecided.

I dont have any experience yet, is it alright if I don't work in a pharmacy for like the first semester or so? Or should the work experience be atleast 2+ years or more? I also plan to do some volunteering some time soon.

I mainly started this thread for other people/as I progress through college.
 
Usually 6 months to a year of "experience" will suffice. As for the grades, you better get A's and B's (preferably A's) in all your sciences. Volunteering is good- adcoms eat that up. My advice on that is to pick something you REALLY care about- not something you think the adcoms want. You will enjoy it more and if (or when) you talk about it, your passion will come through.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was a mentor for at-risk teenagers for awhile. I really enjoyed that A LOT.

I also did various volunteer work with the organizations I was involved with in undergrad- we did stuff like feed the homeless, hold philanthropic events, have clothing drives etc. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to include the hundreds of hours I put in for political stuff 🙂
 
Ok Ive got a good question now, I was gonna make a whole thread but this should be sufficient.

Im thinking about starting up a chapter for a political organization at my college. Its kind of cotrovesial though: http://ssdp.org/

Basically a pro-drug decriminalization organization, do you think this would hurt or help me in an interview?
 
Er...I would steer clear of that." Drugs are bad, mmmkay?"

I once asked this guy who was soliciting signatures for a pro-legalization of marijuana bill why he supported the issue. He said, "Cuz pot cures cancer." I laughed out loud.