Thinking of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

virajpatel

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I have been contemplating a career in optometry. I have not really shadowed much in the field so I will be getting some experience starting this semester to really get a feel. What kind of shadowing opportunities should I be looking for? Private practice? Commercial?

I have 3.11 GPA from Wayne State and am a psychology major. My science GPA is 2.94 but I am taking 6 post bacc credits this semester to raise that and I will take some more next semester to raise it even more.

Additionally, if I am find that I am interested I will begin studying for the OAT this semester and taking it sometime next year before the applications open up so I have my score before applying. I have taken the DAT before and did well on 22AA so I was wondering apart from the physics so I implement the same study techniques and can I use the same study materials?

What do you believe my chances to be at Optometry school if I raise my GPA a bit and do well on the OAT? Also, do optometry schools want post bacc students to have certain course load or are they just looking for a good GPA because I don't intend on being full time next semester either?

CHANCE ME PEOPLE!

Thanks