• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Thoughts on my chances? Any feedback is appreciated!

lorenm12

2+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2018
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

I was hoping I could get some feedback on how I’m doing with my medical school application. I plan to apply next summer, and I have not taken the MCAT yet, so I know that makes it more difficult, but I would just appreciate any feedback on how things are looking from the extracurricular side.

I graduated in spring 2019 in biomedical engineering.
cGPA: 3.84, sGPA: 3.75

My clinical volunteering consists of 155 hours of emergency department and hospital transport volunteering.

My non clinical volunteering is a mixture of soup kitchen, unpaid medical office internship (that I am now employed at) where I did administrative work like calling patients and shadowing (which I count separately below), the NIH where I did administrative work, and an LGBT support center. The lockdown has made it very difficult for me to volunteer now, but once things open again, I plan to volunteer a lot more at the soup kitchen and LGBT center.
Total hours: 230

My other clinical experience includes being a paid medical assistant since the winter, where I interact a lot with patients, so far I have over 170 hours, and I really enjoy it so I plan to work there for a long time.

I did about 1.5 years of research in college with about 120 hours from it. I would like to increase this section of my application but not sure how to go about that now that I am out of school.

I only have 30 hours shadowing neurology from my internship, that has turned into a paid position. It was a very significant experience for me. But I was planning to get more shadowing, especially from a family physician, but with the lockdown I cannot.

As far as other misc. things, I've been working an IT job for my school for about 3 years, with some leadership experience in training new employees.

I have been trying to make the best of this lockdown by preparing for the MCAT, but with the inability to volunteer or shadow right now, I am very concerned that I won’t be ready to apply for next summer. Any feedback on what I really need to improve, or advice? Thanks!

Last edited:
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.