This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scumbag_Steve

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol as a girl, I was going to definitely advise you to shave your legs if you wear a skirt... glad I read the rest of the post.
But I would probably cut the hair at least. Your goal is to look clean, professional, and put together.

Reactions: 3 users
I think both are ok. Be yourself!

Reactions: 1 users
If you have long hair and/or facial hair, at the very least make it look professional. Nobody wants to interview/accept a slob. It reflects poorly on your judgment of yourself and your professionalism.

Reactions: 1 user
So it looks like you guys are hard and fast on this no beard thing. @THS is there any circumstances under which you'd say it's okay to keep it or just play it safe no matter what?

If you are Jason Statham.

Even if you look like a 14 year old without the facial hair, I would play it safe. You can grow it back once you're accepted.

I wish this was a dilemma that I could have. Instead I get to be reminded by my dad that I will never grow a beard and stache like his.

Reactions: 3 users
I wish this was a dilemma that I could have. Instead I get to be reminded by my dad that I will never grow a beard and stache like his.
If it really bothers you, just grab a sharpie and draw one on!

I would shave, but if you keep your beard and hair trimmed and neat that should not be an issue. If your beard is patchy or unruly, shave it. This is a professional interview, not a casting call :D

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you look like on your professional photo you sent in for your application? Look like that.

Unless you know your interviewer is a Hunger Games fan and you can pull off the Seneca Crane, I would shave.

You always want to shave for interviews. Just do it. Don't risk anything at this point. No one knows what the admission member in front of you is thinking as he interviews you.

Professionalism trumps hipster every time in an interview for a professional education.

Professionalism trumps hipster every time in an interview for a professional education.
Some people can pull off the professional beard- I work with dozens if doctors that do. But these are short, nearly trimmed beards, the sort more befitting a Men's Wearhouse commercial than a coffee shop. Just ask yourself- is my beard boring? If the answer is no, shave it off.

This discussion turned out to be quite apropos, I just got an email invite to interview at my #1! Per all of your advice I will trim my hair and beard, and then if it still doesn't look professional I will shave and cut the hair before the interview. Thanks!

I would get the opinion of someone older for whether you look professional or not just to be safe :D.

If you shave, you will 100% look clean. If you don't shave, there's a 50% chance ADCOMs won't care and a 50% chance that they'll think you're slobbish/unprofessional. If you feel like clean shaving will impact your confidence then I'd say trim it down to a respectable length but if you won't feel shaken up by going clean, then why take the 50% risk?

Reactions: 2 users
make sure you shave your whole body, if a single hair seen by adcoms it's an automatic rejection :lol:

Reactions: 5 users
IMHO, this is a conservative profession in many ways. Shave, get a haircut, clean and trim your nails, button the top shirt button and tie a proper knot, polish your shoes. You never know....

Reactions: 2 users
I think people do not realize this, but not everybody has a sloppy beard. People can have clean beards and look even better than if they were shaved. Some people look better with a good looking beard. Luckily, I am a blessed human being who can have both :) .

Food for thought, this man has a good beard and he looks professional. It just how you maintain it, if you have a sloppy beard obviously adcoms will think your a lazy person, but a good beard can make you seem mature and even better looking for some people.
upload_2015-7-13_16-43-45.png

I think people do not realize this, but not everybody has a sloppy beard. People can have clean beards and look even better than if they were shaved. Some people look better with a good looking beard. Luckily, I am a blessed human being who can have both :) .

Food for thought, this man has a good beard and he looks professional. It just how you maintain it, if you have a sloppy beard obviously adcoms will think your a lazy person, but a good beard can make you seem mature and even better looking for some people.
View attachment 193906

I guess it is a matter of opinion but I think his beard looks shaggy and I would suggest trimming further or getting rid of that beard totally if he were interviewing for dental school right now.

Exactly. A professional-looking beard

Attachments

• c0a8456e8d73f5a984f4cd6fbe1786ac.jpg
    c0a8456e8d73f5a984f4cd6fbe1786ac.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 30
This would be ideal but I don't think I could pull off the hair. I'm just indulging people at this point because I've made the decision to go in with the short cut and clean face.
I just cut my shoulder-length hair that I've been growing for the better part of 2 years earlier this summer so I could prep for interviews. It stings I know but its better to err on the side of caution :)

Hey Guys,
Sorry I know this has been asked before, but I wanted to get an updated view on people's opinions since the other threads are kind of outdated. I haven't shaved or cut my hair since May. I've always cut my hair to a 2 or 3, and never went more than a week without shaving. I wanted to see what I'd look like with a beard, but when it started growing I kept growing my hair to match it. My question is, should I go with a short cut and keep some stubble, i.e. Jason Statham , keep both beard and hair, i.e. I would look like a shaggier, less dashing version of Matthew McConaughy with a slightly longer beard, or play it conservatively and shave the beard altogether. If I chicken out for the sake of professionalism and shave, should I keep my hair longer as is or cut it to my traditional 2 or 3. I welcome all thoughts, comments, suggestions, and opinions!

Thought you all would enjoy a fun, less stressful thread!
can you show me what you look like now?
Dr. A

View attachment 193906

This dude is also ridiculously good-looking. I wouldn't recommend a beard... A lot of people think they look good with one and just don't. Not worth the risk.

Coming from a girl,
A beard (and a man bun, yes) look very attractive in the real world (at least to me), but in the admissions world, I would 100% advise you to shave your beard and get a hair cut. I personally don't judge someone by their looks most of the time, but in this case, I think it's really important to look professional, i.e. put together and like you put in a lot of effort into looking clean. Even if people disagree about the clean-shaven beard and whether or not it makes someone look more attractive, the fact that we're even discussing this topic means that there might be a large difference of opinions if you keep even a nicely trimmed beard for adcoms. Just my two cents. Good luck with everything :)

This dude is also ridiculously good-looking. I wouldn't recommend a beard... A lot of people think they look good with one and just don't. Not worth the risk.
LoL I know what you mean, some people just look eh with a beard, but if you look well groomed and professional with a beard, like that gentlemen in the picture, it is a compliment to your face with respect to the beard.

Look at this gentlemen. This guy is a force not to be reckoned with, because of his beard. Plus he looks like professional
upload_2015-7-14_7-28-10.png

Look at this gentlemen. This guy is a force not to be reckoned with, because of his beard. Plus he looks like professional
View attachment 193921

I would have to disagree. IMO, he has good facial features but to me he looks like some homeless guy they showered and put in a suit. haha to each his own.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think there's anything wrong with a neatly trimmed beard. Obviously this doesn't mean a grizzly and overgrown beard. I have a beard myself and have seen many dental school students and residents with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was accepted to 2 schools last cycle. I had clean looking stubble with short hair. Not sure about having a beard as none of the applicants I saw on my interviews had one. But you can for sure get away with stubble.

I am going to interview with a trimmed beard. The photos I submitted show me with a beard. I am keeping it short (1/8" razor) compared to what I normally wear (1/2") however...

If you look better with a beard, which I think I do, then that may actually be good for you. I have a big pronounced jaw and high cheek bones with a smallish chin, the beard helps to even things out.

I wouldn't advise going to interviews looking unkempt, but I don't see anything wrong with a well-groomed beard and hair. If you are eliminated from the running based on well-groomed facial hair, then chances are you were going to be eliminated for something else anyway...

Edit: I am also 30, so perhaps a beard is more fitting on a 30 year old than someone who is 22? I don't know.