tobacco cessation – the patch falls off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had several patients come in who have tried using the patch for tobacco cessation. One of the big problem we have here in Phoenix among the obese population is the patch falling off due to sweating and maybe a little bit of inadequate adhesion.

A lot of people say that other tobacco cessation products are not covered by their health insurance. Any ideas? Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I had several patients come in who have tried using the patch for tobacco cessation. One of the big problem we have here in Phoenix among the obese population is the patch falling off due to sweating and maybe a little bit of inadequate adhesion.

Clean the skin with rubbing alcohol prior to applying it.

A lot of people say that other tobacco cessation products are not covered by their health insurance. Any ideas?!

It's still cheaper than smoking.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people say that other tobacco cessation products are not covered by their health insurance. Any ideas? Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks!

Some insurances won't cover things (like Chantix) until they've failed the patches.

I've also had patients who just tucked the patch into their underwear or under a bra strap and felt that kept it on better. I encourage the above ideas first, however. ;)

Tape. The kind used for bandages.