TPN Question

Started by moto_za
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

moto_za

Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've searched and googled but couldn't find much. Does TPN make or cause the patient to feel full? TIA
 
not entirely. satiety is complex - calories in the blood only stimulates some of the mechanisms and bypasses signals generated by gastric distention and absorption of macronutrients from the gut.

a big ol bag of tpn ain't the same as thanksgiving dinner.

most folks on tpn don't have much of an appetite...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FWIW, I worked on a trauma/acute surgery floor for a year as a tech before med school, and we had a lot of patients that needed long term TPN due to EC fistulas. Most of them were constantly readmitted because they would eat and throw all their electrolytes out of whack. So maybe they are full, but they sure as hell want to eat.
 
So it doesn't cause fullness. I guess it kinda makes since we are not feeding the GI tract obviously. I was just curious whether weaning the TPN would possibly help the pt. to eat better, but it doesn't seem like it.