Transfering from community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the duck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing my first two years at a a California community college. I'm planning on transferring to UC Davis or UCLA as a junior and majoring in psych.

I have two questions: Does anyone know anything about either program?
Second: Will not doing my first 2 years at the university hinder me from getting research opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing my first two years at a a California community college. I'm planning on transferring to UC Davis or UCLA as a junior and majoring in psych.

I have two questions: Does anyone know anything about either program?
Second: Will not doing my first 2 years at the university hinder me from getting research opportunities?

I can answer your second question

I don't think your previous school will stand in your way
to get in to a research program
Think there is lots of professors that would want u to assist them with research

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
The prestige or ranking of the psych department is of litle importance at the undergrad level. As long as you can get some research opps (UCLA and UC-Davis both have alot) then you will be just fine.

There is no reason why this should hinder either. Psych is a very established subject at cc's, and most try to model their classes to the the universities in the state.

Also, most people don't start doing research until their junior or senior year, from my understanding, so no problems there.

I'm taking my first psych class at a cc this quarter. I actually have a PhD professor with lots of experience and publications, which is pretty cool for an intro class at a cc.

Also, most people don't start doing research until their junior or senior year, from my understanding, so no problems there.

I doubt that. The group of people who seek research experience are those who want psych for grad school. These also happen to be the people that are the proactive teachers pet types...:D. I would bet most get invloved their freshman year. To become more than a mere peeon who just enters data may take a till junoior year though in many cases.

I doubt that. The group of people who seek research experience are those who want psych for grad school. These also happen to be the people that are the proactive teachers pet types...:D. I would bet most get invloved their freshman year. To become more than a mere peeon who just enters data may take a till junoior year though in many cases.

-But I'm guessing missing out on two years of entering data won't hurt me all that much, right?

-I to had a PhD teach my intro class, a lot of people seem to think that only kindergarten grads teach at CCs. Definitely not the case :)

My logic was that many don't declare a major until their junior year, so they probably wouldn't do research before they know what they are doing. At any rate, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

By the way OP, I am doing the exact same thing you are. Just make sure you take the classes at your cc that are equal to the classes at the university you plan to attend. Most schools will have a list that will tell you.