This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riebmaon

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I applied for the 2023-2024 and received 4 TMDSAS II's to which I have been placed on the waitlist for. While I am hopeful to be pulled off the waitlist, I am currently planning to reapply. I am going to revamp my personal statement as well as the other essays and secondaries. I received a committee letter from my advising team along with my LOR's last cycle. The LOR's that were sent last year are dated around May of 2023. My advising team told me that the letters do not need to be updated since they are recent enough, so the health advising team can just resubmit what they have. Additionally, I will be sending in a new 4th LOR from a provider that I started working for in January of 2024. Is this good enough especially in regards to my LORs? Do the letters need to be updated even though I will be adding on a new letter. I just want to make sure my health advising team is not going to screw me over. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
LORs need to be re-uploaded but last year’s date is okay.
Notice that the Personal Characteristics prompt has changed a little and now has a 5000 character limit. You will be writing an extra essay pointing out what you have improved in your application since last year as a reapplicant.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
LORs need to be re-uploaded but last year’s date is okay.
Notice that the Personal Characteristics prompt has changed a little and now has a 5000 character limit. You will be writing an extra essay pointing out what you have improved in your application since last year as a reapplicant.
Hello, I am a reapplicant and I pre wrote my essays before this modified personal characteristics prompt was released today. Reading the prompt from last year and comparing it to this year's, I truthfully can't discern a whole world of difference besides the increase in character count. I had initially wrote what I have improved in my application since last year in my optional essay. Would you imagine I would have to completely modify both or talk about how I changed as a reapplicant in my personal characteristics essay? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am a reapplicant and I pre wrote my essays before this modified personal characteristics prompt was released today. Reading the prompt from last year and comparing it to this year's, I truthfully can't discern a whole world of difference besides the increase in character count. I had initially wrote what I have improved in my application since last year in my optional essay. Would you imagine I would have to completely modify both?
If you like your personal characteristics essay as it is, there’s no need to pad it to reach 5000 characters. I agree with you that the prompt seems the same. However you shouldn’t turn in the exact same essay as last year.
Since there is an essay space specifically dedicated to what you feel you have improved since last application cycle, don’t use the “optional “ essay space for that. Write about something else not mentioned in the rest of your app.

Reactions: 1 users
That's interesting. So basically, TMDSAS just asked for a second "personal" statement that has a focus on "personal."

Goes back to my thoughts that "strong" applicants should be able to write at least three different personal statements...

Guidance...

That's interesting. So basically, TMDSAS just asked for a second "personal" statement that has a focus on "personal."

Goes back to my thoughts that "strong" applicants should be able to write at least three different personal statements...

Guidance...
I look at the 2 big essays as “why medicine”
and “why am I suited for this career”
We’ll see how this cycle goes, but I think people who don’t love writing are going to have trouble writing so much.

Reactions: 1 user
I look at the 2 big essays as “why medicine”
and “why am I suited for this career”
We’ll see how this cycle goes, but I think people who don’t love writing are going to have trouble writing so much.
I like that perspective. Thanks!

For a presentation, I made a back-of-napkin calculation. AMCAS applicants have to provide 21,850 characters minimum, if you include the PS, OIE, and W/A descriptions and MME's, not counting the MD/PhD essays.

For comparison, apparently the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #3 requires the virtuoso to play 29,000 notes over 45 minutes, with variation due to the cadenzas.