UMDNJ vs. URI

Started by Lucy908
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lucy908

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am hoping for some opinions... I have narrowed down my options to University of Rhode Island and UMDNJ - Newark. I am not sure if I should make the choice solely based on cost. UMDNJ is instate for me and they offered me a decent scholarship. It would run me about $18,000/yr. But, I don't think their first time NPTE pass rate is 95% or above since it is not listed on their website ( I am going to contact them on Monday to determine for sure).

URI has a first time NPTE pass rate of 95%, but would run me about $29,000/yr, plus living expenses. I did get a better "vibe" from URI, but I did like UMDNJ as well, except for its location. Is this a no brainer? I am a bit bummed about not getting out of NJ, but I also don't want to be in a ton of debt. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
 
There was a good thread I saw which listed all the best reasons to choose a school, but I can't seem to find it right now...

UMDNJ
PROS: cheaper, did like
CONS: location

URI
PROS: pass rate, good vibe
CONS: expensive

Sounds like you're about even 😛. But I guess it's about which pros and cons have more weight than the other pros/cons. Pass rate could also be another pro/con when you find out. Tuition, costs of living, travel expenses, proximity to family and friends, pass rate, length, and liking the program are all things to consider that I can think of.
 
Last edited:
I remember at the UMDNJ Interview, it was stated that UMDNJ's first time pass rate is high. I'd say, probably around 95% as well.