DReamer9000

5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey everyone!
So my first application has been going pretty well but now I am trying to decide between the 2 schools I have been accepted to so far. Any help/input is greatly appreciated!

UNECOM
Pros:
-WAAYYY closer to home (like a 2 hour drive)
-Already paid some of the deposit
-Not that much mandatory attendance (I think there is some in the first year)
-opportunity to come to home state for 3rd year rotations (I would like to be close to family so this is very appealing)
-good board scores and match list (I’m pretty set on primary care anyway so...)
-Students seemed friendly (which is a lot to say for the east coast lol, but there are Canadians that go there so maybe that’s why haha jk)

Cons:
-higher COL
-board materials not given
-convoluted grading (it’s pass fail but students have a hard time figuring out their grades)
-OMT emphasis
-little/no mission trip
-not as transparent of a website so hard to find if there are research opportunities etc.

CUSOM
Pros:
-awesome facilities, new Cape Fear Valley Center which means more research and other opportunities
-Great board scores (I think some of the highest out of the DO schools)
-Awesome match list and residency placement outcomes
-school emphasizes boards prep and gives materials to students
-Students seemed very friendly (I’m an ethnic minority and it didn’t seem at all as if I would be excluded in any way)
-MISSION TRIPS! school emphasizes global health and has very organized trips, several times a year
-GREAT website that is very transparent and easy to navigate (something that imo is rare to find for DO schools)-obviously this is a minor “pro”

Cons:
-Significantly far from home, I’m from East Coast so maybe culture shock as well
-Grading!?! No pass/fail for first two years from what I gather
-Rural emphasis
-I’ve heard there is mandatory attendance, but judging by how well students do here it may not be that bad?

Any other pros and cons that y’all wanna include, please do. I NEED TO MAKE A DECISION BY END OF JANUARY!!!

thanks!

Jun 29, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm a current applicant myself and had roughly the same decision to make. I chose UNE COM primarily because I'm from the northeast with strong personal ties to Maine and I appreciate the emphasis that UNE COM places on serving the local community, which is where I want to end up in the long run. I'm also unapologetically LGBT and the idea of going to a christian school in a potentially conservative area for four years just didn't sit well haha. HOWEVER I've heard that Campbell is a very open-minded sort of religious institution and I had a great interview experience there! I'm totally confident that I would have been happy going there if I hadn't gotten into UNE. I believe Campbell has lower tuition and COL so that's definitely something to think about as well.

Reactions: 1 user

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Both good schools; I've been very impressed with CUSOM match list. No mean feat for a new school. The only concern I have is the mandatory lecture attendance. Adult learners know better than Faculty on how to best learn the material.

I'd pick the school with the cheapest tuition.

@mel0099 one caveat for LGBT students is that while the school might be welcoming, the local communities might not. Best to inquire in the school-specific thread about this.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.