Using a qoute in a personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

resilience123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want to use a quote in my personal statement that is more or less a saying in my culture because it ties into a specific story that I am sharing, which is of course part of me showing why I want to be a physician. I have the phrase in quotes, for example: there is a saying in my culture "blank". I then go on to write a story about how I want to emulate that value stated in that phrase. Is this too corny, amateurish, or okay?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How about a quote of what a patient or physician said or from an interaction? Is this usually bad too?
 
How about a quote of what a patient or physician said or from an interaction? Is this usually bad too?

Quotes should never be used as a hook or an opening line. You can add quotes in other places but I don't see why you would need to do that. Unless the quote is like...a life changing experience for you I would say that it would be stronger if the scenario was described and paraphrased
 
Quotes should never be used as a hook or an opening line. You can add quotes in other places but I don't see why you would need to do that. Unless the quote is like...a life changing experience for you I would say that it would be stronger if the scenario was described and paraphrased
Gotcha, just curious, why is this a thing?