This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md1287

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally don't feel there's enough prestige difference between Vandy and Hopkins to justify the massive difference in COA given everything you've mentioned. Vandy matches very well in surgery, and the fact that research is so well integrated into their curriculum will help you too.

Don't underestimate how great it will be to have P/F clinical years lol. Also, pretty sure Vandy's AOA is after the match. Wrt being in a different city, plenty of time to do that during your residency. Hopkins certainly has the edge in the public health world, but Vandy has as big of an edge in business.

My friend goes to Vandy and honestly it's full of typical premed people, religious white people, and just isn't all that diverse. I would go with Yale tbh

• Dislike
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To address your negatives on Hopkins,
- see if Hopkins is willing to shell out any merit aid, and let them know your Vandy financial situation. I used to think they only did need-based, but I’ve heard tale of them awarding some merit-based as well. Can’t hurt to ask.
- research year would only be necessary if you truly loved research and just wanted to spend a year pumping out pubs and/or for some reason had a very subpar app otherwise (which, given P/F pre-clinical, P/F step 1, and possible P/F clinical, would be very hard to do). If you can find the work/life balance that allows you to pass pre-clinicals with a little room to spare, you will have ample time to do research. Several of my classmates in 1st year are involved on several projects with attendings, residents, and/or fellows—it’s common to have a main project/mentor, then a few side hustles if you want to maximize productivity. We haven’t even started our “Scholarly Concentration” dedicated research time yet. Point being, although it doesn’t have a full year option carved out like Vandy, Hopkins won’t limit your research opportunities.
- No gunner vibes. Among a class of mostly type A’s, you may have a few type AAAA’s who go above and beyond in class and/or EC’s. But no one is really at each other’s throats; the handful of uber productive people stay in their lane. People like to see each other do well.
- Cars are convenient to have, but I have many car-less friends who know or live with people who do have cars. It’s possible to get around without one, depending on where you live. Though you’ll likely want one during rotations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@Saturday’s Child Thanks for your insight, super helpful!! P/F clerkships would be huge! I haven't heard back from Hopkins financial aid yet, so do you recommend waiting to reach out until after I receive that package? Or would reaching out early help if they have extra money?

Even if you don't consider the money, I'd still pick Vanderbilt.

i'd go Vandy > Yale > Hopkins/UChicago

Let's talk about Vanderbilt. Absolutely amazing place to live. There's nothing like that Southern hospitality, amazing food (Do you like hot chicken?), amazing live music, etc. No state income tax in Tennessee is absolutely huge if you do decide to work there, if you love it (You will. I lived there and it seemed that almost every visitor/tourist fell in love with the place lol). Pass/fail curriculum? Unbeatable. Even if Hopkins switches to P/F -- which you wouldn't know until late -- your pros for Vandy just outweigh everything else. it's just so obvious often times when i read these "Help Me Decide" posts hahah. you may not know it, but (it seems) your heart is set on Vandy. enjoy Nashville. you're gonna love it.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Hi! I'm actually in the same position as you this year, Vandy with 75% scholarship vs. Hopkins. Feeling very conflicted! If you want to, I'm open to talking more about this together, feel free to message me directly.

Hi! I'm actually in the same position as you this year, Vandy with 75% scholarship vs. Hopkins. Feeling very conflicted! If you want to, I'm open to talking more about this together, feel free to message me directly.
Vanderbilt all day. You'll be very happy you picked Vanderbilt lol