Veteran Restarting my Pre-med Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshyabs

QuietStorm
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My name is Josh, and I am 27 years old. This is a long post, and I apologize, but I feel I have kept this back long enough. I have decided to post my situation online to receive advice and tips on getting into medical schools. Let me start by saying that this website is amazing and has been a fuel for my motivation. I went to Georgia State University several years ago 2003-2006 as a pre-med student, and I failed all my classes. I was an unfocused and immature teen who felt pressured to go to college, and I was lazy. I left Georgia State with 48 credit hours taken, several F's, and a 1.08 GPA. I was a failure. I was working a full-time supervisor job at UPS, attending two churches (my dad is a pastor, and I had slightly different religious beliefs), and I was a youth group leader (I know...). Finally, I had had enough.

I had always had a yearning to join the military for several reasons: mainly to participate in service to my country and to find focus. I joined the Navy for six years. My parents felt it was the worst thing that could have ever happened, and our disagreements sent me to boot camp as early as possible. I joined as a fire controlman for six years working in electronics and the Nato Seasparrow Missile system. Halfway thru, I attempted to retake biology and pre-calculus online with Devry, but failed those classes due to being out to sea on deployment (internet in the gulf is the most annoying thing ever). Needless to say, I still hadn't learned my lesson. I'm known as an optimist and quite passionate/emotional (that line can be blurry sometimes). Either way, I thought that when I get out, enough time will have passed, and I would restart my classes. I would prove to myself it can be done. But while on the ship, I changed. Although i was not a good student, I am a very hard worker. While in the Navy I took on numerous collaterals, designated to teach classes all over the ship (aircraft carrier Nimitz), work-center supervisor, and a whole bunch of other things. You might say I was doing enough jobs for six men, and I was recognized by the better seniors in my chain of command (ex-navy will know what I mean). Even though the work was not for me, i did it because it was my job. I did it to the best of my ability. I am forever grateful that I joined the United States Navy, and I would not give up that experience for anything. I found my focus in the chaos and stresses of ship life. While it was nothing compared to those in the war zone, the ship did force me to evaluate my career and what I wanted to accomplish in life. Furthermore, my desire to learn came back strong. I had downloaded some college science textbooks to study on my deployments and I began reading them.

When my ship got back from deployment, we went into a long overhaul period in Washington for two years. I was ecstatic, and I immediately began school at Olympic community college. I retook my pre-calculus I & II and english I & II courses and made A's in all of them. This was 5 years after Georgia State. All of this was while working in the Navy maintenance yard's long hours (sometimes I had 24 hour days between school, watch, and duty). But I did it because it mattered. I also fortunately found ItunesU and began watching their Chem and Bio classes to prepare for when I would get out. I was in love with learning again. I began finding science addicting. Also, my time doing some extra volunteer work in the Navy gave me a love for people. I hate that good people should suffer and I believe that the only thing that matters in our lives are the things we did for others. I began volunteering at the Navy hospital in Bremerton with the red cross. During this time, I made up my mind to be a doctor. I still had a year and a half left in the Navy, and I began researching medical schools (even visited a few). I immediately was attracted to UCSF, and even though I know it was a needle in a haystack, I decided to "aim high". If I "aim high", I will at least get into a medical school, and my ultimate goal is to be a doctor. I called UCSF multiple times to explain my situation and to see some of their requirements. The advisor there was kind enough to invite me to come and view the college with some interviewees and to meet some medical school students. I immediately took leave and wore my finest suit to the tour. That school is amazing! I remember feeling overwhelmed as so many of the interviewees thought I too had made it. I was embarrassed... I mean I had a 1.3 overall GPA.

I decided to move to the Bay area, even though I knew no one in San Francisco, and my family lives in Georgia. I had a focus and a passion that would drive me. I left the military last summer in late July, moved to the Bay area, and began at Diablo Valley College in Fall 2012. I immediately began retaking all my courses from the beginning. However, I had no idea, even with my research, that medical schools would require evaluate all your grades (even the ones from 9 years ago!). I was disappointed that my mistake in grades from years ago would follow me for the rest of my educational career. Even though osteopathy offers an opportunity to replace grades, i have always been geared to the allopathic ideology. Last fall I made an A in Bio I, and a B in Chem I and Calc I. Although I am doing way better than I was, I am really down about the B's. I searched and found a med school GPA excel spreadsheet that would help me keep track of my grades. But when I entered all the grades I have made thus far, I came to the realization that this was not just going to be hard. It will be one of the most difficult things I will ever have to do. If i was to score an A in all the rest of my semesters until graduation, I would pull my GPA to a 3.15 :( I have to say, as a man, I cried. It just seemed a little hopeless at the time, but I am not a person who gives up if it is something I want.

My current GPA is now 1.92. I am currently doing Chem II, Bio II, Calc II, and Political Science (current grades are B/A/A/A). The coursework is difficult for me I admit, but I have made plans to correct my grades in the future. I am in contact with people in organic chemistry, physics, and some of my future bio classes to prepare me over the summer for the fall. I am getting tutor help and doing office hours. I am determined to do whatever it takes to become a doctor one day. My plan is to hopefully go to UC Berkeley (with retaken courses, my GPA is going to be 3.5) next year. I go to UCSF sometimes just to remind myself of my vision, that one day I could be in a white coat ceremony somewhere, having overcome my failures. And I pray that God will forgive me for failing, and help me to succeed. Thank you for reading my story and your advice and criticisms. Good luck in all you do, and may you succeed!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

My name is Josh, and I am 27 years old. This is a long post, and I apologize, but I feel I have kept this back long enough. I have decided to post my situation online to receive advice and tips on getting into medical schools. Let me start by saying that this website is amazing and has been a fuel for my motivation. I went to Georgia State University several years ago 2003-2006 as a pre-med student, and I failed all my classes. I was an unfocused and immature teen who felt pressured to go to college, and I was lazy. I left Georgia State with 48 credit hours taken, several F's, and a 1.08 GPA. I was a failure. I was working a full-time supervisor job at UPS, attending two churches (my dad is a pastor, and I had slightly different religious beliefs), and I was a youth group leader (I know...). Finally, I had had enough. I had always had a yearning to join the military for several reasons: mainly to participate in service to my country and to find focus. I joined the Navy for six years. My parents felt it was the worst thing that could have ever happened, and our disagreements sent me to boot camp as early as possible. I joined as a fire controlman for six years working in electronics and the Nato Seasparrow Missile system. Halfway thru, I attempted to retake biology and pre-calculus online with Devry, but failed those classes due to being out to sea on deployment (internet in the gulf is the most annoying thing ever). Needless to say, I still hadn't learned my lesson. I'm known as an optimist and quite passionate/emotional (that line can be blurry sometimes). Either way, I thought that when I get out, enough time will have passed, and I would restart my classes. I would prove to myself it can be done. But while on the ship, I changed. Although i was not a good student, I am a very hard worker. While in the Navy I took on numerous collaterals, designated to teach classes all over the ship (aircraft carrier Nimitz), work-center supervisor, and a whole bunch of other things. You might say I was doing enough jobs for six men, and I was recognized by the better seniors in my chain of command (ex-navy will know what I mean). Even though the work was not for me, i did it because it was my job. I did it to the best of my ability. I am forever grateful that I joined the United States Navy, and I would not give up that experience for anything. I found my focus in the chaos and stresses of ship life. While it was nothing compared to those in the war zone, the ship did force me to evaluate my career and what I wanted to accomplish in life. Furthermore, my desire to learn came back strong. I had downloaded some college science textbooks to study on my deployments and I began reading them. When my ship got back from deployment, we went into a long overhaul period in Washington for two years. I was ecstatic, and I immediately began school at Olympic community college. I retook my pre-calculus I & II and english I & II courses and made A's in all of them. This was 5 years after Georgia State. All of this was while working in the Navy maintenance yard's long hours (sometimes I had 24 hour days between school, watch, and duty). But I did it because it mattered. I also fortunately found ItunesU and began watching their Chem and Bio classes to prepare for when I would get out. I was in love with learning again. I began finding science addicting. Also, my time doing some extra volunteer work in the Navy gave me a love for people. I hate that good people should suffer and I believe that the only thing that matters in our lives are the things we did for others. I began volunteering at the Navy hospital in Bremerton with the red cross. During this time, I made up my mind to be a doctor. I still had a year and a half left in the Navy, and I began researching medical schools (even visited a few). I immediately was attracted to UCSF, and even though I know it was a needle in a haystack, I decided to "aim high". If I "aim high", I will at least get into a medical school, and my ultimate goal is to be a doctor. I called UCSF multiple times to explain my situation and to see some of their requirements. The advisor there was kind enough to invite me to come and view the college with some interviewees and to meet some medical school students. I immediately took leave and wore my finest suit to the tour. That school is amazing! I remember feeling overwhelmed as so many of the interviewees thought I too had made it. I was embarrassed... I mean I had a 1.3 overall GPA. I decided to move to the Bay area, even though I knew no one in San Francisco, and my family lives in Georgia. I had a focus and a passion that would drive me. I left the military last summer in late July, moved to the Bay area, and began at Diablo Valley College in Fall 2012. I immediately began retaking all my courses from the beginning. However, I had no idea, even with my research, that medical schools would require evaluate all your grades (even the ones from 9 years ago!). I was disappointed that my mistake in grades from years ago would follow me for the rest of my educational career. Even though osteopathy offers an opportunity to replace grades, i have always been geared to the allopathic ideology. Last fall I made an A in Bio I, and a B in Chem I and Calc I. Although I am doing way better than I was, I am really down about the B's. I searched and found a med school GPA excel spreadsheet that would help me keep track of my grades. But when I entered all the grades I have made thus far, I came to the realization that this was not just going to be hard. It will be one of the most difficult things I will ever have to do. If i was to score an A in all the rest of my semesters until graduation, I would pull my GPA to a 3.15 :( I have to say, as a man, I cried. It just seemed a little hopeless at the time, but I am not a person who gives up if it is something I want. My current GPA is now 1.92. I am currently doing Chem II, Bio II, Calc II, and Political Science (current grades are B/A/A/A). The coursework is difficult for me I admit, but I have made plans to correct my grades in the future. I am in contact with people in organic chemistry, physics, and some of my future bio classes to prepare me over the summer for the fall. I am getting tutor help and doing office hours. I am determined to do whatever it takes to become a doctor one day. My plan is to hopefully go to UC Berkeley (with retaken courses, my GPA is going to be 3.5) next year. I go to UCSF sometimes just to remind myself of my vision, that one day I could be in a white coat ceremony somewhere, having overcome my failures. And I pray that God will forgive me for failing, and help me to succeed. Thank you for reading my story and your advice and criticisms. Good luck in all you do, and may you .

Aim high and best of luck.

Thank you for the motivation. I will do whatever it takes, and continue to work to make my Bs become As as well. The good thing is that I am in a field that I love, and even if i end up working as a biologist... I love molecular and cell biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

My name is Josh, and I am 27 years old. This is a long post, and I apologize, but I feel I have kept this back long enough. I have decided to post my situation online to receive advice and tips on getting into medical schools. Let me start by saying that this website is amazing and has been a fuel for my motivation. I went to Georgia State University several years ago 2003-2006 as a pre-med student, and I failed all my classes. I was an unfocused and immature teen who felt pressured to go to college, and I was lazy. I left Georgia State with 48 credit hours taken, several F's, and a 1.08 GPA. I was a failure. I was working a full-time supervisor job at UPS, attending two churches (my dad is a pastor, and I had slightly different religious beliefs), and I was a youth group leader (I know...). Finally, I had had enough. I had always had a yearning to join the military for several reasons: mainly to participate in service to my country and to find focus. I joined the Navy for six years. My parents felt it was the worst thing that could have ever happened, and our disagreements sent me to boot camp as early as possible. I joined as a fire controlman for six years working in electronics and the Nato Seasparrow Missile system. Halfway thru, I attempted to retake biology and pre-calculus online with Devry, but failed those classes due to being out to sea on deployment (internet in the gulf is the most annoying thing ever). Needless to say, I still hadn't learned my lesson. I'm known as an optimist and quite passionate/emotional (that line can be blurry sometimes). Either way, I thought that when I get out, enough time will have passed, and I would restart my classes. I would prove to myself it can be done. But while on the ship, I changed. Although i was not a good student, I am a very hard worker. While in the Navy I took on numerous collaterals, designated to teach classes all over the ship (aircraft carrier Nimitz), work-center supervisor, and a whole bunch of other things. You might say I was doing enough jobs for six men, and I was recognized by the better seniors in my chain of command (ex-navy will know what I mean). Even though the work was not for me, i did it because it was my job. I did it to the best of my ability. I am forever grateful that I joined the United States Navy, and I would not give up that experience for anything. I found my focus in the chaos and stresses of ship life. While it was nothing compared to those in the war zone, the ship did force me to evaluate my career and what I wanted to accomplish in life. Furthermore, my desire to learn came back strong. I had downloaded some college science textbooks to study on my deployments and I began reading them. When my ship got back from deployment, we went into a long overhaul period in Washington for two years. I was ecstatic, and I immediately began school at Olympic community college. I retook my pre-calculus I & II and english I & II courses and made A's in all of them. This was 5 years after Georgia State. All of this was while working in the Navy maintenance yard's long hours (sometimes I had 24 hour days between school, watch, and duty). But I did it because it mattered. I also fortunately found ItunesU and began watching their Chem and Bio classes to prepare for when I would get out. I was in love with learning again. I began finding science addicting. Also, my time doing some extra volunteer work in the Navy gave me a love for people. I hate that good people should suffer and I believe that the only thing that matters in our lives are the things we did for others. I began volunteering at the Navy hospital in Bremerton with the red cross. During this time, I made up my mind to be a doctor. I still had a year and a half left in the Navy, and I began researching medical schools (even visited a few). I immediately was attracted to UCSF, and even though I know it was a needle in a haystack, I decided to "aim high". If I "aim high", I will at least get into a medical school, and my ultimate goal is to be a doctor. I called UCSF multiple times to explain my situation and to see some of their requirements. The advisor there was kind enough to invite me to come and view the college with some interviewees and to meet some medical school students. I immediately took leave and wore my finest suit to the tour. That school is amazing! I remember feeling overwhelmed as so many of the interviewees thought I too had made it. I was embarrassed... I mean I had a 1.3 overall GPA. I decided to move to the Bay area, even though I knew no one in San Francisco, and my family lives in Georgia. I had a focus and a passion that would drive me. I left the military last summer in late July, moved to the Bay area, and began at Diablo Valley College in Fall 2012. I immediately began retaking all my courses from the beginning. However, I had no idea, even with my research, that medical schools would require evaluate all your grades (even the ones from 9 years ago!). I was disappointed that my mistake in grades from years ago would follow me for the rest of my educational career. Even though osteopathy offers an opportunity to replace grades, i have always been geared to the allopathic ideology. Last fall I made an A in Bio I, and a B in Chem I and Calc I. Although I am doing way better than I was, I am really down about the B's. I searched and found a med school GPA excel spreadsheet that would help me keep track of my grades. But when I entered all the grades I have made thus far, I came to the realization that this was not just going to be hard. It will be one of the most difficult things I will ever have to do. If i was to score an A in all the rest of my semesters until graduation, I would pull my GPA to a 3.15 :( I have to say, as a man, I cried. It just seemed a little hopeless at the time, but I am not a person who gives up if it is something I want. My current GPA is now 1.92. I am currently doing Chem II, Bio II, Calc II, and Political Science (current grades are B/A/A/A). The coursework is difficult for me I admit, but I have made plans to correct my grades in the future. I am in contact with people in organic chemistry, physics, and some of my future bio classes to prepare me over the summer for the fall. I am getting tutor help and doing office hours. I am determined to do whatever it takes to become a doctor one day. My plan is to hopefully go to UC Berkeley (with retaken courses, my GPA is going to be 3.5) next year. I go to UCSF sometimes just to remind myself of my vision, that one day I could be in a white coat ceremony somewhere, having overcome my failures. And I pray that God will forgive me for failing, and help me to succeed. Thank you for reading my story and your advice and criticisms. Good luck in all you do, and may you succeed!

Good luck josh, and next time, try to insert some paragraphs into your posts. It's kinda hard to read when it's all jumbled up like that.

Thanks a lot for the kind words, and I have made it paragraphs as suggested.

Firstly, many thanks for serving your country. There are schools that like upward trends, and also like veterans.

So, ace your coursework, do well on MCAT and things should be a bit rosier.

Keep in mind that if you re-take F/D/C coursework, this does wonders for applying to DO schools, with the AACOMAS grade replacement policy.

Thanks Goro. I have begun to research some of the AACOMAS schools. In the mean time, I am working to correct those Bs as well.

Some states have academic forgiveness (aka academic bankruptcy), where your old crummy grades from a long time ago are "erased" and no longer considered. I believe Texas has a policy like this. A buddy of mine went to LSU and told me about academic bankruptcy in Louisiana, but I can't remember if it was just LSU, or the state of Louisiana. Just something to consider and research.

If you're happy where you're at, then just make sure you get good grades and don't slack. I'm in a similar position in that before I joined the Army, I essentially flunked out of college with a 1-ish GPA. My current sGPA is 3.7-ish; my overall GPA is 2.8-ish...so I'm digging my way out even though my crummy grades are from over 15 years ago.

Good luck and do well - you can do it!

Wow! Thanks, that means a lot. It is awesome you are pulling up your grades that well. I did research Texas forgiveness. Unfortunately, it appears I would have to restart my undergrad in Texas as well, but thanks for the heads up. I will look into LSU as well!