You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Virginia In-State Waitlist Thread [Tech, UVA, EVMS, and VCU] (2021-2022)
Started by CARSIsTheFinalSquidGame
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EVMS WL. Didnt get interview to VCU or any other IS. Huge Roast.
dark_chocolate_chips
New Member
Appreciate this. On WL post-interview at VCU, never heard a word from EVMS. Hope we get some movement soon!
Definitely a seperate if i had to guess.Do you know whether there is a separate alternate list for IN and OOS for VCU?
Do you know whether there is a separate alternate list for IN and OOS for VCU?
I've heard EVMS has the in-state versus out-of-state waitlist. I didn't hear anything similar about VCU having that distinction. The only thing I've heard from VCU is that your score is essentially fixed post II.
WL on EVMS and VCU here too. From what it ~feels~ like, I think there's gonna be a lot of VCU and EVMS action on this thread with MAYBE a sprinkle of UVA and Tech.
Spread the word to your fellow Virginians on this thread.
Spread the word to your fellow Virginians on this thread.
Last edited:
Also... This post from 1999 didn't seem to age well did it?
Apologies for the slight hijack, but does anyone know if the VA schools offer any info sessions for applicants or anything else like that? I looked on their websites and didn’t find much.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apologies for the slight hijack, but does anyone know if the VA schools offer any info sessions for applicants or anything else like that? I looked on their websites and didn’t find much.
I know Virginia Tech does info sessions peppered throughout the year. EVMS offers ongoing info sessions after the interview, they've been on Wednesday I believe. I'm not sure about VCU or UVA.
dragon_23103
New Member
Waitlisted at EVMS.
I have no insight into EVMS specifically, but my guess would be no. You are lucky that they even disclose a tier, since many schools do not. The whole point of telling you the tier would be to give you some insight into where you stand so you can plan accordingly. If the tier assignments were fluid they would be meaningless.Does anyone know if your waitlist tier can change at EVMS? I was waitlisted in the fall (middle tier). I've sent a few update emails, and am curious if it's worth emailing to see if my tier has changed.
So my understanding is that tiers are assigned based on the score of your entire file post-II. As you probably know, there is a vigorous debate regard the value of updates and LOIs once your file is scored. Most of us play the game because you just never know. My guess would be that your expressions of interest via your updates will either be totally meaningless or will help you stand out within your tier, but will never serve to displace someone who is in a higher tier than you. Good luck.
D
deleted1122447
The pre-II R at UVA wrecked me. My alma mater 😢WL at EVMS (top tier) and VCU, pre-II R at UVA and Tech
Also silence from VCU. Very sad, and very strange.
The pre-II R at UVA wrecked me. My alma mater 😢
Also silence from VCU. Very sad, and very strange.
I feel your pain - I got a graduate degree at VCU and now on the WL. Where are WL'd?
edited for privacy
Last edited:
I know this is hypocritical of me since I've gotten accepted at two OOS public schools, but man it really does suck that all of the VA schools don't seem to really care about IS applicants. I had an extremely competitive app for VCU especially and communicated the personal and professional reasons that I had for applying (family in the area, parents work at the medical school, etc.) and wrote a letter of intent and they still told me to kick rocks on the WL. I know that nobody in this life is entitled to anything, especially a med school acceptance, but it just makes me a little disappointed/sad
dragon_23103
New Member
UVA, VCU, EVMS each gives out 50% seats to OOS applicants while most of other states public medical schools is about 10-20% to OOS. The states like Texas, Kentucky and West Virginia almost nil to OOS. The seats for ORM get squeezed even further. This is reality. Talents find their places wherever prospects!
Last edited:
Apologies for the slight hijack, but does anyone know if the VA schools offer any info sessions for applicants or anything else like that? I looked on their websites and didn’t find much.
Interview Day for 2022 cycle
Quick Reminders & Curriculum Overview VCU School of Medicine 1
This is the presentation they gave us at the VCU interview info session.
Thank you!!This is the presentation they gave us at the VCU interview info session
April 15 is coming up Virginians. Out of curiosity, for other people who got WL at both VCU and EVMS: if both of these programs took you off the WL, which one would ya'll most likely choose?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Been reflecting on this as well just in case a miracle is in the works for me. Would love to know what y'all think 😀April 15 is coming up Virginians. Out of curiosity, for other people who got WL at both VCU and EVMS: if both of these programs took you off the WL, which one would ya'll most likely choose?
D
deleted1133405
Has there been any Virginia waitlist movement today? 🙂
dragon_23103
New Member
EVMS is pulling OOS mid-tier before IS top tier by numbers in order to meet its 50% OOS quota (compared to other states 1-10%). Why shall EVMS take Virginian taxpayers money as public school?
???? Probably because the VA legislature hasn't chosen to subsidize the 50% of seats that EVMS is collecting OOS tuition from.EVMS is pulling OOS mid-tier before IS top tier by numbers in order to meet its 50% OOS quota (compared to other states 1-10%). Why shall EVMS take Virginian taxpayers money as public school?
dragon_23103
New Member
Then they can do like UVA does, balance IS and OOS tuition gap. As state public school, even take just $1 from taxpayers, they shall put IS applicants in the same line as OOS applicants. Otherwise they shall go private.???? Probably because the VA legislature hasn't chosen to subsidize the 50% of seats that EVMS is collecting OOS tuition from.
UVA certainly does not give as generous an IS tuition subsidy, but it also is >50% OOS, so where are you going with this? States and schools are free to set the IS preference wherever they want. TX is 90%. VA is 50%.Then they can do like UVA does, balance IS and OOS tuition gap. As state public school, even take just $1 from taxpayers, they shall put IS applicants in the same line as OOS applicants. Otherwise they shall go private.
EVMS matriculates 77 out of 1234 IS applicants, and 74 out of 7630 OOS. If IS were in the same line as OOS, the 77 IS matriculants would be closer to 21!
The bottom line is that EVMS does give a tremendous advantage to IS applicants, as the legislature and the school intended. It just so happens, because IS tuition is so much lower than OOS, that its IS yield is likely much higher than OOS.
As a result, they clearly go much deeper into the OOS WL, and don't go as deep into the IS WL as you would like. But believe me, you don't want IS treated the same as OOS, given that only 14% of the applicants are IS while 50% of the IIs and matriculants are! 🙂
dragon_23103
New Member
The point of this discussion is how to pull applicants from WL by numbers (not for special cases). Regardless how the initial seats filled (the school may set 50-50 for budget reasons or 90-10 for legislature and the school intended), it is understood that the WL is ranked per school score formula, same for OOS and IS assumed. So when mid-tier of OOS applicants is pulled before top-tier IS applicants by numbers (not for special cases), at this moment, the school is pulling less "qualified applicants" per school defined formla in order to meet 50-50 quota, that puts IS applicants on WL in disadvantage. Other state public schools pull lower tier IS applicants from WL over OOS applicants in order to maintain IS ratio, but EVMS is doing other way around. This is not good practice for a pubic school receiving state taxpayer money. If it is private, the school has its free will.
Last edited:
????? I'm not sure where you are getting this from. What "numbers"?The point of this discussion is how to pull applicants from WL by numbers (not for special cases). Regardless how the initial seats filled (the school may set 50-50 for budget reasons or 90-10 for legislature and the school intended), it is understood that the WL is ranked per school score formula, same for OOS and IS assumed. So when mid-tier of OOS applicants is pulled before top-tier IS applicants by numbers (not for special cases), at this moment, the school is pulling less "qualified applicants" per school defined formla in order to meet 50-50 quota, that puts IS applicants on WL in disadvantage. Other state public schools pull lower tier IS applicants from WL over OOS applicants in order to maintain IS ratio, but EVMS is doing other way around. This is not good practice for a pubic school receiving state taxpayer money. If it is private, the school has its free will.
It should probably go without saying that if a school is selecting 33% of one pool of candidates for IIs (in this example, IS applicants to EVMS), and 6% of another (OOS at EVMS), it stands to reason that the 6% will have, from top to bottom, stronger numbers than the 33%. The objectively "less qualified" candidates are by definition the IS ones, because the school is obligated to have them constitute half of the class even though they only comprise 14% of the applicant pool.
Top candidates will be interchangeable, anywhere. But I think you have it 100% wrong at a school that has two WLs, one composed of those from a 33% screen who did not make the final cut and another resulting from a 6%. The less qualified people maintaining quotas at schools with IS preferences are the IS applicants.
In any event, ALL schools will pull from whatever list they have to in order to maintain their quota. It just so happens, at a school like EVMS, that is going to require them to go deeper into their OOS WL, because their $61,309 OOS tuition and fees is not going to be as attractive to OOS candidates with other options as its $37,566 tuition and fees will be to IS folks. So, relatively speaking, they are going to lose more OOS accepted people than IS, and if they don't go deeper into the OOS WL to maintain the balance, they won't achieve their 50/50 quota. Remember, that is already a HUGE advantage for IS applicants, since they are only 14% of the applicant pool.
Just keep in mind that ALL public schools maintain separate IS and OOS WLs, and they all use them to achieve whatever IS/OOS ratio they set. But don't kid yourself -- the OOS people being pulled from the middle of that WL are certainly not weaker candidates than the IS people at the top of that WL still waiting for a call.
Knightdoc, do you live in Virginia? If not leave my fellow Virginians alone lol. This is a Virginia in state forum
dragon_23103
New Member
Due to significant higher ratio of OOS applicants over accepted, OOS stats (not including interview factor) is traditionally higher than IS ones and this is one way the schools elevate their average. But somehow this year (I pay great attention to because I am applicant also this year) does not seem to be during WL pulling in May (do not know intial selection before May 2). Combined SDN message board (if one reads into depth) with my direct connections with a few of applicants, I believe some lower stats OOS applicants (I am not talking about initial selection, just WL pulling in May) are pulled from WL than IS applicants. If this becomes a trend, then as state puclic school such as EVMS, it shall make change to give IS applicants equal chance to be pulled from WL, either adjust tution gap between IS and OOS to meet budget or ask state for more funding.
It is pretty lame that Virginia doesn't allocate more spots to IS applicants, especially a place like EVMS which has a mission statement about serving that particular local area. My ship has sailed since I've committed elsewhere as that school has an early state date - will have my fingers crossed for other IS applicants to have better luck than me!
dragon_23103
New Member
@Kokonant, I follow your messages and believe you deserve a seat in VCU or EVMS per your stats and experience. You will serve Virginia in a great deal with your experience and passion and sorry to see you leave.
I am on EVMS IS top tier WL with higher stats than OOS applicants pulled from WL recently in May (do not know intial selection before May 2). I am native Virginian and have significant clinic hours and non clinic volunteer hours in local under-served areas. I sent my LOI and updates but I do not get chance. I got accepted by out-state school with CTE by June 1, so I will miss my chance here and leave my home state for my long journey. We all will do well and I also give my congrats to OOS who are pulled recently from WL.
All 4 medical schools in Virginia are state public and we do not have private ones. If the trend development leads to IS lost equal chance to OOS, then as state public schools, the changes shall be made.
I am on EVMS IS top tier WL with higher stats than OOS applicants pulled from WL recently in May (do not know intial selection before May 2). I am native Virginian and have significant clinic hours and non clinic volunteer hours in local under-served areas. I sent my LOI and updates but I do not get chance. I got accepted by out-state school with CTE by June 1, so I will miss my chance here and leave my home state for my long journey. We all will do well and I also give my congrats to OOS who are pulled recently from WL.
All 4 medical schools in Virginia are state public and we do not have private ones. If the trend development leads to IS lost equal chance to OOS, then as state public schools, the changes shall be made.
Last edited:
Its just two different pools- you cant even compare yourself to them. As someone who left virginia for far away lands, its gonna be a blast dont you worry!@Kokonant, I follow your messages and believe you deserve a seat in VCU or EVMS per your stats and experience. You will serve Virginia in a great deal with your experience and passion and sorry to see you leave.
I am on EVMS IS top tier WL with higher stats than OOS applicants pulled from WL recently in May (do not know intial selection before May 2). I am native Virginian and have significant clinic hours and non clinic volunteer hours in local under-served areas. I sent my LOI and updates but I do not get chance. I got accepted by out-state school with CTE by June 1, so I will miss my chance here and leave my home state for my long journey. We all will do well and I also give my congrats to OOS who are pulled recently from WL.
All 4 medical schools in Virginia are state public and we do not have private ones. If the trend development leads to IS lost equal chance to OOS, then as state public schools, the changes shall be made.
Its just two different pools- you cant even compare yourself to them. As someone who left virginia for far away lands, its gonna be a blast dont you worry!
I'm not terribly worried and not going that far south - going to NC where I have connections anyways. I'll just hopefully secure residency in VA somewhere. Glad your adventuring was worth it to you! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Kokonant, I follow your messages and believe you deserve a seat in VCU or EVMS per your stats and experience. You will serve Virginia in a great deal with your experience and passion and sorry to see you leave.
I am on EVMS IS top tier WL with higher stats than OOS applicants pulled from WL recently in May (do not know intial selection before May 2). I am native Virginian and have significant clinic hours and non clinic volunteer hours in local under-served areas. I sent my LOI and updates but I do not get chance. I got accepted by out-state school with CTE by June 1, so I will miss my chance here and leave my home state for my long journey. We all will do well and I also give my congrats to OOS who are pulled recently from WL.
All 4 medical schools in Virginia are state public and we do not have private ones. If the trend development leads to IS lost equal chance to OOS, then as state public schools, the changes shall be made.
I appreciate the encouragement. With these schools I think I'm just more into them than they are into me lol!
It's rough not to draw comparisons between other applicants, I've been as guilty as anyone at times, but the blessing at the end of the day is having that A. Lots of people never get that and I feel for them. I mean 4 years isn't a particularly long time and you can always come back (I hopefully will).
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 535
- Replies
- 11
- Views
- 9K