W in Physics II?

Started by memouri
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

memouri

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I'm currently taking calculus-based Physics II, about 6 weeks in for this quarter. At the moment, I think I'm at a LOW C assuming my grades on future quizzes and the final are more or less constant to how I've been doing, and I'm worried that I may actually fail. I'm also taking my third quarter in ochem, physio & anatomy 1, and ochem lab, putting me at a 16 unit quarter, which is about the average of what I usually take (and typically can handle fine).

This quarter, I'm a bit overwhelmed with family issues (caring for sick grandparent) that takes up my time during the day, so I essentially cannot attend extra discussion sessions, office hours, etc. since I have to be home and preoccupied anytime that I'm not attending class. A lot of my studying time goes to ochem + lab and physio since I think those are more important in terms of pre-pharm reqs. I've only ever had one C and never had a W. My GPA is currently just above 3.5, so I really do not want it to drop further as I feel like that's already on the lower end of what is preferred for Pharmacy School, and expect future classes to be hard as well so I don't want it ruined by an undergrad course that probably isn't as important.

The professor next quarter seems to be a bit more fair in grading, and my unit load will be less as well so I'm pretty confident I'll have more time to put into it and that an A will be much more attainable. Otherwise, I may take it over the summer.

Should I just drop and take the W? How much will this affect my acceptance/interviews? Would my "family issues" be reasonable if I were questioned about the W?

Thanks!
 
If you only have one W it shouldn't be a big deal. I dropped physics 2 this spring after doing pretty well in physics I lol
 
I got an A in calc I and a W in calc II (never retook it either) and it was never an issue for me, though it probably didn't look great either.