WAMC (3.76, 511); Reapp advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

553medicine

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently sitting at no II and 4 R this cycle and feeling really discouraged. I know for sure my school list is too top-heavy, but would love any other feedback as I start to brainstorm for a reapp.
  1. 3.76 GPA, 511 MCAT (127/126/126/132)
  2. State of residency: IL, strong ties to TN
  3. Top 20 private undergrad
  4. Clinical experience: 1600 hours (on my second gap year), 50 volunteer clinic hours at an underserved clinic
  5. Research experience and productivity: 3 separate labs, about 1000+ hours total, international research presentation
  6. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 80+ hours, 8 different specialties (very diverse)
  7. Non-clinical volunteering: 1500+ hours (Americorps service in my community)
  8. Other extracurricular activities: 500+ hours teaching low-income students, 500+ hours across other teaching categories
  9. Anything else not listed you think might be important: Strong narrative of supporting underserved refugee/immigrant populations through the clinic and Americorps position, as well as life experiences as an immigrant navigating language/financial/cultural barriers in health. Strong health equity focus.
  • Albany
  • Albert Einstein
  • Boston University
  • Brown
  • Drexel
  • Duke
  • Emory
  • George Washington
  • Kaiser
  • Loyola
  • Mayo
  • MCW (Medical College of Wisconsin)
  • Mount Sinai
  • NYU Long Island
  • Rush
  • Sidney Kimmel (Jefferson)
  • SLU (Saint Louis University)
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Temple
  • Tufts
  • Tulane
  • UCLA
  • UCSF
  • UIC
  • UMass
  • UMiami
  • University of Colorado
  • UC San Diego
  • VCU
  • Wake Forest
  • Wayne State
 
Half your schools are reaches. You could still receive interviews in January, February and March. I suggest these schools if you reapply:
UIC
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Iowa
Indiana
Ponce (St. Louis)
Creighton
TCU
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
 
As a challenge: take the refugee/immigrant narrative off the board. Why must you be a physician to do what you want to do? I don't have your application, but it sounds like you could be just as effective as a legal associate or advocate. I do think your list is definitely contributing to your lack of success. Hopefully some school can still give you a shot.

I am interested in how you stretched yourself to be comfortable with uncomfortable people.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Half your schools are reaches. You could still receive interviews in January, February and March. I suggest these schools if you reapply:
UIC
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Iowa
Indiana
Ponce (St. Louis)
Creighton
TCU
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Thank you!
 
Hey! Thanks for your feedback- I talked extensively about my parents medical issue when we moved to the USA and how I interpreted for them in medical settings and their appointments growing up. I used this narrative as kind of the early seeds for wanting to serve as a physician
If you wind up reapplying, you will be strongly advised to draft a new PS. Again, what would be your narrative that describe your purpose as a physician?