This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredocn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to all your Texas schools and you should receive several interviews.
For AMCAS schools you could try these:
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Miami
Emory
Indiana
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
St. Louis
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Pittsburgh
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a concern that your self-described most meaningful experiences include 300 hours of work in rural China hospitals. Exactly what did you do, and under what organization were you supervised or sponsored? Though you won't have an institutional letter (committee letter), what advice did you get from your prehealth advisors about describing this activity?

You appear to have a strong interest in global health, but usually international experiences are not as helpful in the application process for becoming a medical student in the United States. Have you done any outreach to schools in Texas (where you will likely have the best probability of success) or made connections through SNMA to get better insight on support for green-card applicants similar to yourself? Did you also network with faculty at any of the research conferences where you presented your work?

I have a concern that your self-described most meaningful experiences include 300 hours of work in rural China hospitals. Exactly what did you do, and under what organization were you supervised or sponsored? Though you won't have an institutional letter (committee letter), what advice did you get from your prehealth advisors about describing this activity?

You appear to have a strong interest in global health, but usually international experiences are not as helpful in the application process for becoming a medical student in the United States. Have you done any outreach to schools in Texas (where you will likely have the best probability of success) or made connections through SNMA to get better insight on support for green-card applicants similar to yourself? Did you also network with faculty at any of the research conferences where you presented your work?
I actually did not do any of those you mentioned, except from doing research at a private institution in Texas. There is one physician I shadowed who is an instructor at one Texas medical school. I thought Green Card holders get the same treatment as citizens for the purpose of the application. I think there is a lot I do not understand.

Finding out how schools support students who immigrated to the United States or have green cards is important to discover and disclose. But just like everyone else, you are expected to be exposed to the US healthcare system in your shadowing and clinical observation/volunteering.

I actually did not do any of those you mentioned, except from doing research at a private institution in Texas. There is one physician I shadowed who is an instructor at one Texas medical school. I thought Green Card holders get the same treatment as citizens for the purpose of the application. I think there is a lot I do not understand.
Green card holders are treated as US citizens for med school applications, you are correct

Reactions: 2 users
Finding out how schools support students who immigrated to the United States or have green cards is important to discover and disclose. But just like everyone else, you are expected to be exposed to the US healthcare system in your shadowing and clinical observation/volunteering.
Haha for sure! Sorry I didn't report my shadowing experiences, but I have around 150 hours of shadowing U.S. physicians, and I've volunteered at a hospital here in the U.S. for around 150 hours.

Haha for sure! Sorry I didn't report my shadowing experiences, but I have around 150 hours of shadowing U.S. physicians, and I've volunteered at a hospital here in the U.S. for around 150 hours.
Ok. Not that it would matter much but your committee had no issues? Also no clinical supervisor or physician letter?

I am applying this cycle to MD programs. Here are my stats and descriptions of my ECs

cGPA: 3.85 (constant trend)
sGPA: 3.85 (constant trend)
MCAT: 504
Biochemistry major
Black male immigrant (Green card holder)
Class of 2022 (currently finishing up senior year)

Undergraduate Institution: small LAC

Texas resident but I go to school in the East Coast

Volunteering:
270 hours at a nursing home, worked with a physician to help patients with dementia (most important experience)
300 hours of volunteering at a rural hospital in China (spent working with physicians in different departments, assisted patients and shadowed physicians (most important experience)
170 hours working as a summer school coordinator at an underserved elementary school.
100 hours at a state/ mental health hospital. Had plenty of patient interaction
150 hours as a tutor to middle school students (most important experience)
30 hours at a soup kitchen (I served food)
Teaching assistant for a chemistry and psychology class (100 hours in total) and anatomy & physiology lab TA

Research/ Publications:
40 hours: virtual 1 month research experience on geriatric care
Worked in a lab at my undergraduate institution for 3 months (340 hours) working on a chemistry research on solar cells. I am the 6th and last author, but it is because of timing. I spent the most time working in the lab and left during the last few weeks because of schedule conflict. I presented a poster by myself at a national conference
About to start doing another research. PI said he would give me a case study, and I will be a first author (300 hours projected)

700 hours Radiology research with two major publications (one first author and another second author)

300 hours cardiology research

Another 400 hours of cardiology research

I am a YouTuber although I am not that big (I do it as a hobby to help students get scholarships)
I play rec. soccer

Letters of Recommendation:
1 strong from a psychology professor
1 strong from a math professor
1 strong from a biology professor
1 strong from a research mentor
1 super strong from a McNair program coordinator
Committee won't me a letter since I missed the deadline to report my MCAT score (score didn't come out at the time of the deadline for committee review)

Thanks in advance!
I think your application looks great for TX schools. Try to turn it in by the end of June if you can.
TMDSAS allows a minimum of 3 and maximum of 4 letters of recommendation, so choose what you feel will be your best 4 and make 2 or 3 of them from professors.
TMDSAS MD schools do not require a physician letter, nor a committee letter.

Most OOS schools are tough for Texans, but do apply to the HBCUs. Possible OOS MD schools have been listed by @Faha.
TCU (AMCAS system, in Texas) requires Genetics and Physiology as hard pre-requisites, so if you haven't taken those don't apply to TCU.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok. Not that it would matter much but your committee had no issues? Also no clinical supervisor or physician lette
I think your application looks great for TX schools. Try to turn it in by the end of June if you can.
TMDSAS allows a minimum of 3 and maximum of 4 letters of recommendation, so choose what you feel will be your best 4 and make 2 or 3 of them from professors.
TMDSAS MD schools do not require a physician letter, nor a committee letter.

Most OOS schools are tough for Texans, but do apply to the HBCUs. Possible OOS MD schools have been listed by @Faha.
TCU (AMCAS system, in Texas) requires Genetics and Physiology as hard pre-requisites, so if you haven't taken those don't apply to TCU.
OK, thank you for the helpful tips!

Ok. Not that it would matter much but your committee had no issues? Also no clinical supervisor or physician letter?
No sir, but I am a neurotic premed, can't handle all of this stress if it doesn't matter to my application.

Most of us (at least at MD schools) would really rather not have to read a physician shadowing letter...
I hear that some committees like to use this to make sure that shadowing occurred, though.

Reactions: 1 user